Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3112 volrage regulator

roma3112

Hi members My 3112 is in need of a new voltage regulator. I have a spare from the same era, but I was wondering if i could fit the unit with "modern" sealed solid state unit. I throw this question out to those members who may have done it, and if so if they recall which one (regulator/brand PN#) they used. thanks all John

John, I assume you're talking about a generator/starter system here with the Delco/Remy 3-pole regulator. I haven't heard of a solid state replacement out there, but hey, what do I know. Unless there's catastrophic damage to yours (ie contacts burned to a crisp, burned out resistor, broken relay), you can clean up the contacts and redo the adjustment proceedure fairly easily. Those old regulators are pretty tough and reliable (and now expensive). Tom(PK)

I had to retire one of the old regulators because of a broken wire on one of the coils. Tried to wolder it, and then tried a crimp connector, but could not keep it working. By the way, the solid state regulators usually run on alternators. A voltage regulator for an alternator is not interchangeable with one from a generator. Rod H.

John, I am not aware of any other options, we have them in stock and they are in the 50.00 range plus shipping. I am at the house and don't have access to the prices here. Good luck, Al Eden

John, Here is Al Edens web page giving a description of how the 3-pole regulators operate. http://www.edensltd.com/3_pole_regulators.htm Tom(PK)

king As it turned out i took the regulator appart and cleaned the contacts and it seems to be ok now, thanks john