Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Poor Running Generator ?

Brent_Baumer

I have a 4200W portable Sears generator with a 7.8hp single cyl. OHV engine of unknown make that I bought new in January of 1997. It says Generac on it but I believe Generac just makes the alternator. It has seen little use since purchased. The last few times I have used it, it will only run smooth with the choke half closed. Very rough with the choke wide open. It will not idle when the idle control is turned "ON". It slows down and dies. The only carb adjustment is idle. There are no external adjustment screws except for idle. The manual says if it is running bad take it to a Sears service center and do not fool with the carb. After reading this, I removed the carb and took the bowl off but did not disassemble anything else. I sprayed it out with Gumout and cleaned a small amount of crud out of the bottom of the bowl. Put it back on and it runs exactly the same. I tried letting it run with new fuel mixed with Sea Foam for about a half hour and it made no difference. Does anyone know how to increase the fuel mixture on one of these to see if that helps? Thanks, Brent

Brent, How about getting the model number off the engine. I would assume it's a Tecumseh. Tecumseh stopped putting on adjustable main jets on their venerable & great float bowl carbs back in the late 80's early 90's ( thanks to the C.A.R.B. (California Air Review Board folks)). Engines haven't run right since. If it is a float bowl type carb, you still might be able to put in an adjustable main jet assy. Tell me/us the details and I can give you part numbers. Tom(PK)

I am not certain if Generac made their own engines or not. They were recently purchased by Briggs and Stratton, sd B&S entry into the consumer products business, instead of just an engine supplier. FYI, B&S is also introducing a 5 hp 4 cycle outboard motor! Look for it at your local dealer soon! Tom

The only numbers I see are on 2 stickers: 220 92926 09 and ENG 98912 93046 "Craftsman 7.8 Horsepower Industrial OHV Engine" It is rope start and has a very small oil filter. The only other brand name on it is Generac.

If you are willing to take the chance, you can open the jet with a very small drill bit. You should only do this in .001 inch increments between tests. I did this on a Vanguard that was running too lean. It only needed .001 to make it run great. I have a very small set of bits purchased from American Science & Surplus. I used the mmooth portion of the bit to check hole side. When I found one that wouldn't wuite go through the hole, I used it to open the hole slightly. To drill a jet, use a vise or pair of Vice Grips to hold the bit and turn the jet with your fingers, so that the jet can self center on the bit. After it has gone through, use the smooth portion to polish the hole. Replace the jet and try it. Keep in mind that you can't buy the jet separately, so if you mess up, you buy a new carb. Rod H.