Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gretsch

Onan CCKB starter removal

gretsch
I'm not sure how to remove the starter from a CCKB. I have pulled the engine out to clean it up, and I want to remove the starter first so that crud doesn't accumulate in it and create a short (Powermax Pauls advice in previous discussions). Any helpful hints before I just try to do it The inner bolts are not very accessable and I think maybe the outer flywheel side mount has to come off but I do not want to do that if it is not necessary. Thanks for any advice.

schaefer72
hi - as stated before there is just not an easy way to remove the starter on a cckb - the way i did it was to remove the bolts that hold down the engine and lift it up alittle for easier removal - good luck

powermax_paul
Butch, If you have the engine out, you can take the front flywheel shroud off to get at the starter bolts. The shroud mounts with two bolts at the bottom and the heat shield bolt at the top (that's a double ended bolt that goes into the engine and has a nut on top to fasten the heat shield). Tip the shroud out at the top and slide down to clear the bottom of the flywheel. You'll likely want to remove all the sheet metal anyway to do a good job cleaning the fins and the whole block. Clean the sheet metal separately. Do not clean the starter with a water wash cleaner like Engine Brite. When mixed with water it creates a white dielectric paste(kinda like WD-40 does) that can get into your brushes/armature and raise havoc. Engine Brite works great for the rest of the parts, but will loosen the paint on aluminum parts like the oil pan & heads, if you care about that. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

gretsch
Thanks Paul. I already have the shroud off. My question is do I try to remove the bolts that are between the starter and the block, or do I remove the bolts that hold the mount that the starter is bolted to?