Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mrc100_2000

Simplicity 4040 trouble

mrc100_2000
I need help,my 4040 just started acting up on me.I cant run the engine unless the choke is part way out,my brother had the same trouble a few weeks ago and we fixed it but i cant seem to nail down the problem here.I have good fuel flow through the pump and the carb seems ago.She started running this way after i left her sit outside dureing a rainstorm or two.I would normally put it in the shed,but i was being lazy and let her get wet.My 4040 has the carb that the air cleaner is on top.i also have a new cleaner to install that sets sideways so water cant run down inside it.Do I have a water problem or is there something else i should look for.(help)

Al
Hi, My first thought is you likely have some water in the fuel and there is a little blob in the bottom of the float bowl. May have no connection to setting outside. We have many tractors setting outside and put rubber bands over plastic bags on the gas caps. This stops moisture from getting around the plastic lenses and the vent hole. On this tractor this should not be a factor and a bath shouldn't have hurt it. I would check for water first. May not fix it, but where I would look first. Also check for any vacuum leaks like a manifold or carb base gasket. Also check the spark to be sure it will jump 3/8 inch. Sometimes if the spark is weak, and barely firing, a slightly richer mixture [ala choke] might affect it. Not often. Just remember that sometimes clues aren't all they seem. Good luck, Al Eden

HubbardRA
I think you may hav a partially clogged main jet in the carb due to varnish buildup. Sometimes you can remove the jet and clean it with a single strand of wire. Rod H.