Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thvivian

Keeping a 9020 Running

thvivian
I am having a problem keeping my 9020 running for more than two minutes without cutting out. I will start right up and runs well for those twenty minutes but once it cuts off it will not start again unless it sits for over an hour. I am not a real good mechanic, so any help is much appreciated. It seems that it is not getting enough fuel but that is just my limited observation.

HubbardRA
Several things can produce this type of problem. Check/change the fuel filters. Clean the fuel bowl to make sure there are no flakes of varnish that could clog the jet. Check the fuel line. Keep it away from heat to prevent vapor lock. Check the ends of the lines where it attaches to fittings, sometimes a flap of rubber can come loose and close the line. The fuel flow can slowly push the flap to close the line, but when it sits not running the tension in the rubber will open the line back up. This happened on a Chevy truck that I owned. Like to never found the problem. Sometimes a broken wire in an ignition coil will open up when the coil gets hot and close when it cools. An exhaust valve with too little lash will not seat when it gets hot, and shut down the engine. It will restart when it cools, and restart. Also on some engines (I'm not familiar with the one you have) the carb has an automatic choke that opens when hot. If the engine shuts off from lack of fuel, it will not re-start till the choke closes. Check this by running without an air cleaner. When it stops, manually re-close the choke and see if it starts. Rod H.

arjr111
Besides all of Rods recommendations, also make sure the fuel cap is venting, make sure there are no hard to see head gasket leaks. The procedure I was given is; check the spark when the engine shuts down. If you are getting a good spark, look to the fuel system, if not start checking electical...Art

Cityboy
If this is an Onan CCKB engine, you might want to check the points, too. I have a 720 AC that one time ran consistently worse as it got warmed up. The points were oily and out of adjustment. Cleaned and reset and got back to work! Good luck! Dave

thvivian
Thanks for the help gentlemen. Rod, I have gone through some of the steps you have outlined regarding fuel lines, replaced them, fuel filter, replaced it and now I have a few more things to try. I was wondering if I have a fuel pump problem because the fuel filter is not full of fuel when it is running, actually very little fuel can be seen in it, about a teaspoon worth. What do you think? This CCKB has a manual choke so that is not the problem. Again thanks and I will let you know how I make out with the other suggestions.

HubbardRA
If you have an extra gas tank of a small size, you can disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and hook to the auxiliary tank. Make sure the auxiliary tank is higher than the carb by about or so inches and see how it runs. If it runs fine this way, then you need a new pump. I do a lot of these kind of tests to keep from wasting time looking for and spending money buying un-needed parts. Rod H.

erighter
I have a 720 that did the same thing. I found that the exhaust valve was sticking . You have to remove the valve , clean the stem , and clean the valve guide . Hope this helps you . Ed

powerking_one
Tim, Everyones' replies here have been excellent & right on the mark for advice. If it is the fuel pump (depending on how analyical you want to get) you could put a "T" in the line between the carb and fuel pump , connect a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge, to monitor the pressure when this starts happening VS when not. Pressure is pretty low as I recall (less than 3 PSI?). Fluctuations in the reading would be the thing to look for. Also a tool called a Mity-Vac is very useful for tracking down fuel delivery and pump problems. Let us know the outcome, Tom(PK)

HubbardRA
I had a fuel pump on a kohler that we were using for tractor pulling. You would throw the throttle wide open, and the tractor would run about half the length of the track, then the pump would quit pumping and the engine would die. Went to gravity feed, threw away the pump, no problems since. Rod H.

UCD
MPH A mighty-Vac is a hand held pump with a pistol grip it is basically a vacuum pump capable of pulling about 40lbs of vacuum but can also be used to check how much vacuum is on a line and also how much air pressure. It is used in the auto trade to check vacuum solenoids and motors and vacuum from a carb. Also to bled brake lines Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD