Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

slip ?s

charby5

I recently took my differential apart and found it had two broken springs. I was wondering if there were heavier pressure springs that a guy could get to make it a little more aggressive?..not slip as much without locking it up completely..I've heard of guys putting washers in to compress the stock springs down..does this really work and were are the washers placed exactly..between the springs and spiders or between the springs and plates? and with the clearance thats there, how do ya line everything up when reassembling? charby5....

I put washers in the rear of my pulling tractor. It stiffens up the rear quite a bit. I don't know any secret for re-assembly. If you keep at it you will get them all in line and re-assembled. I don't remember which side of the spring I placed the washer on. The point of the washer is to compress the spring and push the spider gear harder against the housing, so I guess it doesn't make muck difference. Just be sure that the spring is not compressed solid with the washers in place. Rod H.