Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity manual index

PatRarick

Does anyone know what happened to the PDF files index for the simplicity manuals? I browsed through it quite often to see what was new. On Friday, August 16, I went to the page, and was given an "Access forbidden" page. I contacted the webmaster (Gregg Belli) to see what had happened. He first stated that there never was an index, to his knowledge, and wanted to know the URL that was used. I responded with the URL, and got a response from him stating; "I'm not certain from your message if the search system has met your needs. If it has, Great!, if not, please let me know because feedback is very important and in the end you want the information you are looking for." I replied, stating that the search function has occasionally met my needs, but sometimes gave the wrong URL for a publication. I also stated that by browsing the index, I could often find what I was looking for. I then stated my original question, "What has happened to the PDF index file page?" I have recieved no other response, as yet. Pat

Pat, what you (we) were actually doing was browsing the file structure of a directory on a (Unix?) server somewhere, kind of like using Windows Explorer to look at the contents of file folder (directory) on your own hard drive. I'm surprised that it was ever allowed -- it was an oversight on the part of either the person who designed the site (he should have set up a default file) or the server administrator.... This doesn't bring it back -- only explain that it was an accident in the first place. IMO, what they really need to do is publish their "Technical Pubs Index" document as HTML and link it to the appropriate PDF documents for each manual, instead of publishing the index itself as a .PDF document that must be downloaded. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent, That's pretty much what I figured, and was part of my original question to Mr. Belli. Don't know why he couldn't have said that in the first place. His response was almost immediate in requesting what URL I had used to gain access to an index that he claimed never existed. When I gave the URL, he replied with the response above. Seemed like he was dancing around the subject, and hasn't bothered to respond since. I agree that an index would help much more than the search page. It did for me, as long as it lasted. Pat

Pat, I have a copy of the index if you need it up till May. Since they didn't seem to care about security I never made any future copies. I believe they have updated their documents significantly. Type in any random 990xxx and something will pop up. In May there were 1.12 gigs of pdf files. 1146 files total. ADDED: Here's the location of the Master Catalog Index: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_900_1386_04_UV_SMBA.pdf

OOOPS! Soke too soon. Got the following reply today: Mr. Rarick, Hello. My name is David Meyer, I work in the Technical Publications Department of Simplicity Manufacturing. It seems you stumbled across an oversight on our part: the directory you were looking at isn't supposed to be publicly accessible. To address the issues you asked about: 1) Operator's, Parts, Repair Manual Availability Everything we do have is now listed on the website, accessible through the search engine. And yes, it is all indexed by manufacturer's identification number. Without that number, we have no way of knowing what tractor you have, and no way of searching for information on it. If you suspect that there is an error in our search engine, and would like to talk to someone about what documents might be available, you can contact Denise in our Customer Publications department (262-284-8519). She knows our library better than anyone. 2) Repair Manual PDF Links. We do not have general access the PDF files of our repair manuals. The files are too large for this to be practical, like you experienced. If we did make them available, we'd have a lot of disappointed people tying up their phone lines. However, if one is listed as "PDF Not Online" you can call Customer Publications and order a printed book. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line, or contact Denise. David Meyer Simplicity Technical Publications Woody, Thanks, I would appreciate a copy of the index. Too bad they found their mistake. Browsing the index was interesting. Pat