Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Plant Tour

ToddM

I just got back about an hour ago or so from a tour at the Simplicity plant in Port Washington Wisconsin. I only live about 40 miles from it and have never been there before. I was very impressed with the facility, from the stamping area to the machine shop area to the welding area, painting area and the assembly area. The tour took about an hour and a half or so. It really is great to see a company actually build almost all of the parts that it uses in it's tractors. Again it is really an impressive place to visit, they have tours usually once a month. All you need to do is call and set up a visit.

Todd, Were they making parts with the 500 ton press? Did you watch the automatic laser they have recently added. Its unbelieveable that it can just keep cutting parts and changing sheets of steel automatically 24 hours a day unattended. I was impressed. I agree with you anyone that can get away should go there. I have been there 3 times and am impressed every time. Even more impressive to me is the company's policies and manners of dealing with dealers. Of all the companies we deal with Simplicity is ABSOLUTELY THE BEST. In 20 years of dealing with the company I have only had to deal with 2 people that weren't super to work with, and in a little over a year they were gone. They would be the last company we would ever let go. Their phylosophy is that the dealer is the only way to properly support the customer. That is why they are among the few that haven't had a love affair with the box stores. A great company. Glad you enjoyed. Al Eden

I took a tour of the plant a couple of years ago (as a potential vendor) and I agree it was really nice. I used to work in a sheet metal fab house and we had an Amada turret punch press. It was a dinasour compared to the machine you are describing. I think the material storage was 2 stories high that fed the machine.