Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Thanks For the Welcome and other tractor news

66Landlord101Guy

Hello Everyone. First Kent, thank you for giving me stuarts email, but some bonehead bought it and painted it the wrong color, put big wheels on it and put a 12 hp engine in that 9 HP Squire 9. Whoever did buy it doesnt care for the fine taste of a Factory Original 9 Hp engine that was just fine, and the paint job was in good cond. too. This was just stupid to do this to a Fully original classic, that was in great shape in the first place. If you want to see the original pics of the Wards Squire 9 Go to the gallery and then go to mix and match and it should be the third or fourth one from the end. I know a ton of people will agree with me. If that guy wanted a suped up tractor get a cheap MTD or Murray to do that to. And thanks to everyone that gave me a warm welcome. I have been a member since Feb 2002, but that was my first Forum. And I am still wanting a Squire 9 or 10. But the more they get rare, the harder it is to find them, So I might look fir a 1964-1967 Landlord. But if anyone is still wanting to sell me their Squire, let me know. THANKS AGAIN! Ben Scovil, 12, Dover, DE

Ben, I know this is the tractor forum, but let me compliment you on your writing skills. Very impressive for someone your age..... hope you find a Squire. I myself have a 7 hp Wards Garden Mark........Art

I would like to make a couple of points in favor of someone who is not interested in being 100% original. Collectors want everything perfrect as it came from the factory. There are also the users who want the tractor because of the way it was made and the amount of work they can do with it. I love the Simplicity tractors and their quality, but I use mine. If I can change something to make it better, I will. My goal is to please myself, not anyone else. I have paint jobs that aren't original, but this is what I want. I got both of my tractors because they were basically junk. I admire the convictions of one so young, but keep in mind that those of us who are not purists, still love the machines. We don't need to badmouth each other. I have a pet peave, that I think is even worse than changing an engine or painting a tractor the wrong color. I know this may get under the skin of some members, but I hate to see someone decide to part out a complete working tractor just so they can make more money out of it. This is destruction of a working machine that could be restored, or used for work. Rod H.

Rod, I feel the same way about parting out whole tractors. Seems almost sacrilegious. BTW, I do not believe our new member was intentionally bad-mouthing people that like to modify or take liberty with paint, in general. Seemed more like, "I wish he didn't do that to the one I wanted" sort of thing....Art

I to like tractors and equipment the way it came from the factory. I have had stuff painted by other people and have repainted it myself because it looked way wrong. I can understand people using stuff and not wanting it original ,but paint it factory because it looks better and you get more respect for the way it should be from the factory. I also am tired of seeing people part out tractors and want more for it parting it out just to make a fast buck. IF you want to sell something ,sell it complete even it one part is very hard to find. It is stupid to buy something just for 1 part to have a complete unit,but if you save that unit from being parted out it is worth it. I am not putting anybody down for painting stuff off the original color but i have learned first hand to paint it original and not paint it off the wall just to get a few more looks from people. I am a perfectionist and like tractors and equipment,old cars ,whatever the way they came from the factory. I get tired of going to tractor shows and seeing old tractors that are chopped up that look like you know what putting out 3 times more the hp when people should leave them the way them came from the factory . I have no problem with bigger tractors with 3 turbos beefed up but the older 20s to 60s erea should be left factory to preserve their history and original look to show people a part of our agriculturial history. AGCO918 CHAD E SHAFER CHAD E SHAFER(AGCO918)

Hey Landlord 101,I've got a 2110 Landlord that I'll sell.Shipping from Indiana might be a problem,but let me know if you're interested. Now,about parting tractors,I can see both sides of the fence.I understand someone wanting to keep complete running tractors just the way they are.But I can also see someone parting one out,to make money at it.I have a JD 208 tractor that was bought new by my dad in 1979. I have no room or need for it,and my dad said "sell it". I put it in the paper at a reasonable price,and received a quite a few calls.Once people hear that the tractor is 20+ years old,they're not interested.Even though it is in excellent shape,and will outlast most of the home center tractors available these days. But I've received 2 calls wanting parts from it.One guy wanted just the transmission,another guy wanted the whole thing,but for less than 1/2 what I was asking,again so he could use parts from it. I won't part it,but someone else might have.And I still have a tractor no one wants. What to do? kenny

I guess its all personal choice. If i had a tractor that was very rare or lets just say rare, I would want to cherry it out all original. However, my 7016 is a nice clean functional tractor, there were a zillion of them made, whats the diff if i put on a different coat of paint, improved seat (soon as i can), beverage holder, neon lights, pontiac hood ornament, (anyone got one?), who cares theres tons of these to be had (relatively speaking). I would like to someday repower my landlord with one of these quiet gas miser twins, why not? A perfect specimen with like zero hours i would keep in the garage. Personally, I think the choice of color and stickers this tractor came with is ugly anyhow, its very 70s, looks like the partidge family bus.( i love it anyhow).......but what do i know? Ben, keep looking and stay with it, its a great hobby. Doug

I too, believe in keeping the correct paint scheme and colors. Mechanically, I like to modify to improve on the original. When I do, I modify in such a way that I can easily restore back to original should I choose to one day. For example, I modified my grill frame to look as if it were original with the Vanguard conversions in my B-series. Rather than cut up the original frames (that were in excellent condition), I found frames that were in very bad shape, then rebuilt them. If I ever decide to restore, I can go back to my original frame. I always try to modify the part I am installing, rather than modify the tractor to accept it. I also get frustrated when I see someone parting out a perfectly good machine. If someone offered me more for a transmission than I would ask for an entire tractor, I might consider it. Don't know for sure, as I have never been down that road. Pat

I started this conversation to show our young friend that there are many different opinions about how these machines should be used , kept up, painted, modified, or whatever. Point is we all love them, use them and take care of them, original, modified, customized, it doesn't matter. We all visit this site because of our common interest. Simplicity, Allis Chalmers, Homelite, or an occasional Penny's tractor. We use them, we restore them, but most of all, we like to talk about them. It is a great forum, and the fact that we can disagree, yet come together also, says much about the members and the site organizers. In the short time that I have been a member, I have come to know many of you, and feel that I can talk frankly to you, yet call you my friends. Rod H.

Guys, I am extremely sorry, and I have written an apology letter. To the offended, PLEASE read it, and please except my apology. Ben Scovil