Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity paint

Johns

I'm in the process of refurbishing my 7117 (it runs great! but looked kinda ratty). I have painted the hood, console, and dash and am in the process of repainting the fenders and deck. I have been using Simplicity touch-up spray paints and have sanded, coated with rust inhibitor where need, primed, sanded, coated, sanded, recoated, resanded, recoated, etc., etc. I even waxed and buffed the hood. So far, it looks pretty darn good.....but....I know that in reassembly and subsequent use, that it's not going to take much to chip and ding the paint. Is there anything that will help the paint protection be more durable? I understand that there's going to be a certain amount of punishment just by virtue of using it for its intended use(s), but it'd be nice if the new paint could do a little more that just make it look prettier for a short while... anybody have any suggestions?

You could try clear coat. Test a piece of scrap first to make sure you don't have a reaction. You can spray enamel over laquer, but not the other way around. The clear coat may react if you are using enamel spray paint. I just finished my '40 B and used hardener in the implement enamal. Gives a durable finish, lots of shine and will hopefully be more fade resistant.

I have painted many parts myself and have questioned the "hardness" of the paint. I had some pieces painted by a car painter using my simplicity paint, and he said he added some hardener, yet when I have gone to the auto parts store (NAPA) and ask for hardener for enamal paint they look at me funny. Can anyone shed some light and details on "hardener". Thanks. Good Luck! Mike S.

I don't know a lot about it, but there are two kinds of hardener that I am aware of. One is overall hardener, the other is repair hardener. The four parts houses in my area (NAPA, CarQuest, Auto Value, and H.E.Everson) are all manned by very knowledgeable people. I just tell them what I am doing, and they supply me with the correct products, advice, and educate me on how to use them. None of them have failed me yet. Pat

I use an enamel hardener by the brand name of Majic Catalyst Hardener that I bought at Quality Farm before they went out of business. It's a lot less expensive than hardener from the auto parts store. Surely it is marketed elsewhere. It is manufactured by the Yenkin-Majestic Paint Corp. of Columbus Ohio and cost about $8 for enough to do a gallon. Obviously, to use it, you have to use a spray gun instead of rattle cans. Also, like all catalysts, it contains Isocyanates which are deadly to breathe, but most of the paint is too. Use a good mask in a well ventilated area or an air supplied mask.

Hi, I used to do a lot of painting when we were primarily golf cars. Used a lot of Dupont Dulux enamel and put their hardner in it. If made a very tough hard finish. About 2 wks ago went down to get a gallon of paint and hardner to paint my boat trailer. The Dulux has been banned by the EPA. Paint I needed [automotive paint] is now 100.00 a gallon up [to 300.00 a gallon in red] so I will need a new education in paint. [Used some implement paint at 35.00 a gallon after a week got pretty hard, but soft until then. If you want the ultimate hard tough finish, the answer is IMRON. A Dupont automotive epoxy base paint. Depending on color can go to several hundred dollars a gallon. A word of caution about Simplicity spray cans. 1. They are very expensive. 2. They cover very well. 3 They need to be applied with a wet coat. 4. They work well with several coats applied as soon as the previous coat has tacked up. 5 AFTER THEY HAVE DRIED FOR A FEW HOURS THEY CAN NOT BE RECOATED. The solvents in the new coat dissolves the previous coats and the paint will shrivel and wrinkle, forcing one to remove all of the paint to the original surface before repainting. If you are going to paint with this. Get ready, and paint until you are done, because when you quit you are finished whether you want to be or not. We probably use about 100 cans of it a year. My 2 cents worth, its free so value accordingly. Good luck, Al

Well, Al got it right. What he said about the Simplicity spray paints is on the money; expensive, cover very well, but I don't recall reading anything in the instructions on the can about not letting too much time lapse before recoating...seems like there should've been some warning or something. So, that's why I couldn't quite get that "Pro" look! But, still looks real nice. So, when I paint the deck and fenders, I'll make them a one-day project! Thanks, all.

I just used allis orange and clear coat, But, one thing, BE SURE TO USE GOOD QUALITY CLEAR COAT. I USED CHEEEEEEEP STUFF AND WHEN I SPILL GAS ON IT IT MELTS. John

I have been using Chevy orange engine enamel in a spray can. It seems to hold up well and is pretty cheap. Only problem is i am a Ford guy, but don't tell.