Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
cstevensen

Pricing used tractors

cstevensen
Is there a decent reference for prices of used Simplicity/Allis garden tractors? What can I expect to pay for a decent, not great, shape 718? I got a quote of $1500 from a dealer. Charles J Stevensen

SmilinSam
I wouldn't pay 1/4th of that for a 718, at least not to use . The 18hp Kohler singles were somwhat of a problem engine relating to the valve train. A 716 would be a better machine. Price depends on area of the country you are looking. Here in the midwest a good running one with just a deck would average at $750 Give or take. I generally buy mine at auctions with a few small problems and get them for around $250- $350 or less.

MikeES
Charles, $1,500 seems high to me, unless it comes with a bunch of attachments. Though the 718 is rare, and has some collector value, the 18 hp Kohler is not that desireable as a working engine. There is a high probability that the 18hp engine has been replaced with a 16hp. As a comparison, last fall I bought a 917 with electric lift, 48" deck, and snowblower w/ electric spout turner for $975. It did come from a JD dealership so I'm sure I got a better deal. Come to think of it, the great deal on got on a Baron I bought 5 years ago was from a JD dealer also. Good Luck! Mike S.