Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

2 cycle engine ? I know it's not a 4 cycle

KSever

My father in-law has a 2 cycle engine on a push mower that has a hard time starting. It will start after priming it, but you have to keep priming it after it starts to keep it running for about 30 seconds. Then it will keep running. Anybody have any ideas what could be a possible problem? I know it's not a AC or Simplicity but he thinks since I have rider mowers that I should know this push mower stuff also. NOT Thanks, Kris

Kris, I would suspect a vacuum leak. What kind of engine is this? If it has a reed valve induction system, they could be leaking/bypassing as well. The carb could be loose where it attaches to the reed body or cylinder. The gasket(s) could be breached also. If it has a diaphram "pumper" carb (vacuum port & fuel pump integral to it), the vacuum port channel could be leaking. If the engine has very low compression, that could be a factor as well. Tom(PK)

I would have to say it's either the carb or head gasket. check the head bolts and intake for leaks then move onto the carb. It might be something as simple as a clogged line. Good luck Jim V.

It could also be that the low speed jet is set too lean. If it runs OK after it is warmed up. Open up the low speed jet a little and see if it helps. I had a Lawn Boy that acted the same way for over 20 years, great little push mower, I lived with the "cold lean" condition because it ran better when warmed up. If I opened the low speed, I did not have to reprime to keep it running but it smoked more when mowing. Good Luck! Mike S.

Years ago my father had a Lawn Boy 2 stroke that was running really bad. It turned out to be carbon build-up in the exhaust port and a good cleaning fixed it just fine. It was still running when he got rid of it years later.

Check the crankcase seals. I had a chainsaw with this problem. Also check for carboned up exhaust. My dad has a 2-stroke that he ran for two years with the choke half closed. I cleaned the exhaust ports, and it ran fine afterwards. Only choked it to start. Rod H.

• 2 weeks later...
Cleaned out the exhaust port today on this push mower and made the engine run about double the rpm that it used to. There was alot of carbon build up in the muffler area. It even starts right up without using the primer. Thanks guys for all your input.