Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

60 in. deck on A-C 716?

john

I have an early model Allis-Chalmers 716. I was wondering if it could handle a 60 in. deck. It still has the original 16 h.p. motor.

I'd appriciate any helpful responses.

Jacob,
I don't think Simplicity ever built a 60" deck for the Baron/Landlord/Sovereign models. I doubt one would fit within the wheelbase and, at the rule-of-thumb of 3HP per foot of deck width, you're a little short on power.
Sorry to be a wet blanket,
Fred

Hi Jacob:

Fred's ratio of cut to HP is probably correct but the 616 came with a 60" mower. The fella I bought mine from mowed about 4 acres of lawn. I didn't discuss the performance much but he had done it for several years. I know he had just spent $18,000 for a new GREEN diesel about the same size. He attempted to mow his lawn 3 times and was never able to finish w/o the dealer coming and taking it back to the shop for repairs. He was thankful he still had the 616 to finish the job.

Tall grass you will run out of power probably but for reg lawn, I think it will work fine. I have never used mine the bearings need replacing and I have too many other projects going to do that right now.

I would call some of the used parts places and you might find a mower that was made for the tractor. One such place is 616-792-9377. There might be someone in the club also.

Enjoy. Great tractor.

Del

Jacob, I fully agree with Mr. Fred, you do not have enough room to fit deck under trac. unless you move front axle ahead about 4 inches! As the saying goes 'Been there, done that". If you want to cut a wide swath why not consider a gang mower assy? Your trac will surely pull that. I'm freinds with a guy that pulls a 7 ft. wide gang mower with his 920 diesel with no problems at all. Regards, dlc

Jacob:

Disregard my comment. I misread your question for 616, not 716. I agree you will be short of power even though you have 16 HP, the Onan 16 HP twin out performs the Kohler 16 HP single.

Del