Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO bush hog

LBS

I am going to buy a woods bush hog to adapt to my 7790. the problem is, I will have to make some kind of 540 pto. The best I can come up with is a power stearing pump on the center pto and a hydro motor (that I already have) on the back of the tractor. does any one else have any ideas on the simplest and most eficiant pto?

I'm not sure about the flow, I'v heard that they will stall a 25hp engine if you stop the flow. It is more a combination of flow and pressure, if it will stall my engine it has the power. I just need to make sure my motor matches. I have looked at the gear box way. The ones I have looked at are to large and expensive for that HP and ratio.

Would it be easier to mount a pump on the tractor and a motor on the Woods mower and eliminate the PTO shaft all together? Maybe use quick connect hydraulic fittings and hoses. Do you have aux hydraulics on the tractor already? (that you could use instead of a pump) Eliminate the PTO shaft and you've made the setup 100% safer! Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

An alternative to a gearbox may be an automobile rear end. I have seen these used for the purpose of running PTO powered equpment from a stationary engine. The axle housing is altered and the differential pinned. One from a small, compact car may not be too bulky. Pat

Since hydraulic fluid does not compress, the smallest pump will stall the largest engine (or more likely something will break) if the flow is stopped (and the relief valve disabled). Therefore, stalling an engine means nothing. Adequate flow is what is important. I don't know of any automotive type P/S pump that will produce a flow sufficient to drive a hydraulic motor capable of powering a mower deck. What I suggested as an alternative was the Simplicity 540 PTO. It will connect quicky and directly to your 7790. You would then need a 1:1 right angle drive, which should be available very inexpensively as surplus.

Another alternative is to place a separate engine on the Bush Hog. Personally I like the suggestion that Dutch posted. A power steering pump will not provide sufficient flow to power a bush hog. It is not a matter of stall power, but power at speed that you need. Rod H.

Oops, I was thinking a 7790 was of the same frame as a Simplicity 9523. Was wondering why you needed a 540 pto cuz I thought that size tractor came with one. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian