Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle mowers/sharpening blades

Looking to find a sharpening stone for sickle mower blades. No one in my area seems to sell them any more and some ppls never heard of one. ANy leads as to finds one would be appreciated.

We had a sickle bar on an old Gravely years ago. We sharpened the teeth by hand with a file. Now I would probably use a die grinder with a small stone. Rod H.

Virgil, If you are speaking of the stone that is about four inches wide, about five inches in diameter in the center, and tapers off to about three and one half inches in diameter on each side, I just saw one at our local farm supply store today. It sticks out in my mind because I didn't think that there was enough market for them to be available any more. I think I even have a used one here. Pat

What works very well is a die grinder with a coarse Scotch-Brite pad,,dosen't get too hot or remove too much material,

Pat, The stone you described is exactly what I am looking for. Actually I am looking for it for a friend I work with. When I was growing up on the farm I remember my grandaddy sharpening blades on his machine. The rock was on a shaft bolted to a long board with an electric motor hooked up with a belt drive. Today I was out of town on a trip and stopped by an old time hardware store and the owner said I had one here somewhere. After he looked high and low he decided he must have sold the stone. Any change I might contact your store to see if I can arrange to purchase a stone? Thanks for you help. Virgil