Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Resurrected B-112

stumpy

Hiya, Here's a pic of my B-112. I know the yellow isn't quite right, but I had a bunch of cat yellow lying around and was more concerned with preventing rust. Had to reinforce the seat pan, de-rust things and go through the 400321 (with a battery coil). At least she doesn't look or sound embarassing anymore. Still adding lights and need to purchase a decal set, a new drive belt, and replace a front tire, along with a few mechanical items to make things more sound, but progress is being made. Thanks for all the help and great reading on the site. Can't get enough and I am rapidly becoming an AC fan (atic). Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Color doesn't matter. It is your satisfaction that counts. The rest of us are only a figament of your internet imagination. We are only a dream (nightmare). Good looking tractor. Hope you enjoy it. Rod H.

Hello, If you're happy with the color, thats all that counts. I tried several shades of yellow before settling on "Old Caterpillar Yellow" by Rustoleum. The color was almost a match for the small sample under the seat pan that I could use for color balance. You have done a great job on the restoration. I put one of the Farmall Cub mufflers as you did but I can't find a rain cap. Where can I get one to fit?? Fortunately, most of the decals on my restoration were usable so I masked around them very nicely. I should post a pic. Later.....DaveG

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. She's definitely a work in progress. The paint actually came close to matching what I found after sanding/stripping through two subsequent layers of red and orange (plus rust in places). Sorry for the poor quality of the pic. Dave, as far as the flapper on the exhaust goes, they're available at any IH-Case dealer, or at least all the ones out west, for five or six bucks. Makes a pleasing "tink-tink-tink" sound and is a whole lot more preferable to forgetting to put the soup can on the pipe and having a thunderstorm fill up the jug if you park outside (heaven forbid). Right now I'm helping a friend with a frozen JD-40 who allowed just that to happen....very unsatisfactory. They make both a couple of smaller and larger generic sizes, so make sure you get the right one. Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

• 2 weeks later...
It looks great to me! I was given an allis chalmers b112. It had sat outside in the rain for about two years. I got it running about two months ago. Mine does not have the stack exhaust. It has a screw on muffler. Is it supposed to have a stack? Mine has no seat, which has not turned out to be such a problem. The mowere deck is a 42 inch cut. It took me two months to find all the parts, and I went through two belts before figuring out I was putting them on wrong. Today it cut grass, but then began blowing smoke and choking. It wasn't a great deal of smoke, and it seemed to be having trouble getting gas. any idea's what's doing it? Thanks, Don

Don, I would begin a new post with your problem, and you will have better response. From your description of the problem, I would start by looking at the points and condensor. The tractor is supposed to have a screw in muffler, about the size of a 2# coffee can. Pat

I got my rain cap at NAPA. I needed the 1 1/2" size to fit this e-Bay special muffler on my 3310. Here we are in happier times, before the BGB broke.....

Kirk, Great pic! That's a pretty fancy chrome stack on your machine. I too live in fear of a broken BGB <G>....but not too much fear. Don, My machine had a pancake-style muffler when I acquired it...can't stand the things. Usually I keep things stock (the screw-in coffee can style is correct), but I've always had stacks (per dry country with dry flammable grass) and like the way the IH cub stack sounds. Had to replace things anyway, and the stack is about 15 bucks at any IH-Case farm equipment dealer. As mentioned, points and condensor might bear checking. The gas problem? Well, if she sat out the fuel system might've crudded up. My Homesteader 8 was full of an unbelievable amount of crap when I got it, after it had sat out for a few months. During your recent efforts did the fuel system get a going-through? Blow it out, check the little filter on the fuel shut-off (might have one, might not) valve, replace lines, etc. That's usually a good idea anyway. I also put a little 2 dollar clear inline NAPA fuel filter in everything I own that uses gas. Might be a lot of dirt in the tank. Good luck, Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Bob, the Cat yellow looks great and you have saved a nice machine from rust valhalla....did my B207 in cat yellow and it looks nice, too.....Art

Thank you for the feedback! The problem turned out to be the line to the air cleaner. I've used it for two days now without any problems. What a great machine!

Bob, your cat yeller looks mighty fine. Used jd construction yeller on mine 2 years ago last spring and I sure hope you enjoy using yours as much as I have mine. Yea, that first new scratch hurts but a good days work and the dust hides all..Enjoy..MPH