Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tires...one more time

I want to know if i were to put the ag / chevron type tires on my sovereign, would it tear up the yard? anyone? Would like to hear from someone who actually has them on a tractor? Doug

Doug, I had them on my 4111 and they did great. I only had problems when the yard was really wet, they would make ruts in the grass. But other than that they helped tremendously with traction on my hill. I have to go straight up the hill in order to mow this yard as my property actually starts in the middle on the hill. And the other tires would just spin where these would grip without spinning or making tracks. Just my 2 cents worths. Kris

I have used AG tires off and on for years. I like them better than turf tires. If they spin or slip in a turn, they make only a few straight lines in the grass that will heal over quickly. If a turf tire spins, and they do quite often, they will make a large square spot that nearly kills the grass and the spot turns yellow almost immediately. My friend just put Ag tires on his Dixon commercial mower, because the turf tires would spin too much. He loves the Ag tires. Says he would never run turfs again. Rod H.

I have been using ag tires on my A/C 410 for a couple of years and they are great.Just remember that recomended tire pressure is only 8lbs.Too much air pressure and the ride gets quite bumpy. Mack

The votes in favor of AG style is pretty convincing. I have a sloped hilly yard that my turf tires do not handle very well without slipping. Forget trying to do some real pullling. I think I will start shopping for a set of AG tires and weights. Anyone got any that they don't want any more?? DaveG

Ag tires are the only way to go. I've had a set on my A/C 920 for about four years. My property is very hilly and I couldn't mow without them. I also made some rear wheel weights out of lead. That made a big differance in the way it pulls. There is enough weight there it side hills pretty good too. Great site, Rich Krukemeier

Yes! I hate turf tires, they spin more than ag tires... so you'r realy are better off with ag because you don't tear up your lawn so much!!! good luck John

All three of my Powermax had turf tires. Had to run them with chains year round. Now because I just paved the driveway, I've replaced two sets with lugs. Only got turfs on the mowing tractor. No chains. Probably replace them next year. We've got hard clay around here so no problem with lugs.

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

All 6.7....or whatever( I cant keep track anymore) tractors I have all have Bar treads on them. I have mowed commercially like that for 10 years or so and never heard a complaint. Sam

Ok, verdicts in, we the jury find DougM guilty of fabricating a story told to his wife in order to buy 1 pair of ag tires for his simplicity soveriegn. "hey the guys in the club said i couldnt live withouth them".....ill try it. thanks for the info fellas Dougm