Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MDD

Mowing Height

MDD
Hey Folks Does anyone have any secrets about getting another inch, or so, of height from the mowing deck of an AC620/720/PowerMax? The cut is great, I just wish it would cut a little higher. I have turned the "T" handles all the way up -- is there anything else I am missing?

Kent
What shape are the rear deck rollers in? It they're seriously worn -- either smaller in diameter, or the hole in them where they go on the shaft. you'll be cutting much closer than originally designed. That's my only complaint with these Simplicity decks -- you just can't get them to cut more than about 3" to 3-1/8" high. But, I still wouldn't trade their cut for any other! The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

TomSchmit
All of my experience is with smaller Broadmoor tractors, so I don't know how this approach will work for you with these big guys.... I have modified the roller support legs on the decks. On 36"decks, I am able to extend these supports about 1" simply by drilling a new hole in them. On 42" decks, I had to make new (longer) support legs. Then the second part is leveling the deck. If the deck bail adjustments do not have enough adjustment thread to allow you to level the deck, then you have to raise the front end of the tractor. On these big units, it should be easy: bigger tires! Even if you stay with the same numerical size, you can often find a style of tire that has a larger inflated diameter. You could also get extended spindles made. Tom

Leroy
When all else fails to add mower height. Add duct tape of the desired thickness for height of cut to the tires . Or buy bigger tires and lower the deck to the correct cutting height. It the deck is lowered as the 7117 is, then adding a notch (useing a dremel tool) to the depth bar will get you closer to what you looking for. Just jokeing on the duct tape. Leroy