Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnInMI

Snowthrower Pulley Cover and Heat deflector

JohnInMI
Does anyone here that has an old snowthrower have a pulley cover and heat deflector? I see that the are listed on the parts manual, but all that I have looked do not have them. The parts are shown on page 7 of this link: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1309_00_AT_S.pdf Do I really need them? I would think the heat deflector might be more of a need than the pulley cover. That's just for safety. Also, it mentions a different gas cap. Any info on that? The local dealer didn't ahve one of those in stock.

Kent
The winterizing kit came with the heat deflector and a metal vented gas cap. The only difference I can figure on the gas cap is that it could help prevent moisture from blowing snow from getting in the gas tank, since the vent holes are covered with little arched tops. The heat deflect is very useful to prevent the carb body from icing up... I happened upon a new, still in the box winterizing kit a while back. The pulley cover is not for safety as much as it is to prevent snow and slush from building up around the pulleys and idler clutch. It's possible to build up enough to impede operation -- either the belt rubbing on it (and perhaps jumping off) or preventing you from clutching the snowblower. With all the other exposed belts, I can't believe they were too worried about safety in those days. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Dutch
John, I think someone posted details on a heat deflector. You can probably find it by doing a "Search". I have a brand new pulley shield. One should be easy enough to fabricate on a metal brake. I can post measurements if anyone is interested.

JohnInMI
I'd like to have the measurements if it is enough for you to get! After reading some of the older posts about how the pulley can get ised up, I figure I better get something ready now, before I need to do it and end up shoveling anyway. Thanks dutch.