Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My GE Elec Trak

Woodydel

Here's my latest garden tractor addition. I've been looking for a good one close enough to pick up and this is it. Should be a good show off piece even with those not into garden tractors. Seller supplied lots of detail pictures so I did the deal over the phone. I've been wanting one ever since our last electric tractor discussion awhile back.

Maynard, I'm drooling over this one. It looks like it's rusted in this picture but the closeups reveal a machine in very good shape. Maybe just compound the paint etc. Pat, The blade lifts electrically with the handle on the right side of the tractor used to angle it left and right. It needs six batteries which I have found locally at a golf cart manufacturer. They've helped me out with details for converting one of my conventional tractors to electric power. Upon hearing about this Elec Trak I'm adding to my collection they offered to go over all the electronics for me. Then they gave me a great deal on batteries. There was a snow blower and mower deck cheap on Ebay last week but I had no idea I was going to find this tractor so I didn't bid. Too bad because the snowblower went for $61 and the deck went for $100. Some upstaters (NY) have contacted me already about what they have to sell for this machine. Should be an interesting and straightforward restore.

My interest in these has been building also. A neighbor had (has?) two of them that he picked up at an auction a few years back. Spoke to him about them last year, and he had given up interest as he was intimidated by all the switches. I assume they are both still in his shed. He seldom sells anything as he is always more interested in horse trading. I think I'll have to check into them. Pat

Lookin good Woody, Now you can mow at night without a single noise complaint! Ive been looking at the elecs to, lets keep them power plants goin!!!! Id love to see one of those in action. Doug

Happy for you, Woody. I never knew those were around before finding them talked about in here. Hope you keep us updated. You'll probably find out first-hand why they're not made, anymore!!!

I'm sure you have found this but here it is for the other folks. http://www.elec-trak.org/ I don't know much about this site. ScottS

I'm actually looking forward to the snow on the driveway being pushed silently aside except for the scraping sound of the blade. I really believe people hated laying out the money for the batteries. The golf cart company says with daily heavy use the batteries will last about 4 years. The electric circuits are daunting to be sure.

I am a collector, also and have found these very intriuging. I still haven't seen one for the right price locally, though. keep us updated on your restoration, etc. as I believe there are still enough of these around that I might eventually get one. But don't ignore them Cubs in the backround cause if they're anywhere near as good as my old 122 you just can't stop 'em.

You've got a good eye for tractors. Don't worry about my ignoring any good Cub deals. I've got 2 restored 582's,1606,106,1282,1450,122 and 2 Originals.

Nice Find, without a doubt these tractors were WAY ahead of their time. I have worked on a number of these and although the contacts need attention quite often, as long as you have good batteries, everything else falls into play. The decks and blowers are really neat, also electric driven, They plug in with a range type cord. If you put chains on it, you will find in low gear you could probably climb a tree if need be. We have two right now we use them for pushers, pushing cars and trucks around the lot. I have pushed a 8 wheel military truck with the 20hp. Good Luck Scott

Scott, Your post echoed my thoughts concerning a view of these tractors as "modern" versions of garden tractor. I had read about the contact cleaning at another site. A little maintenence now and then won't be a bother. It's great that you actually use your tractors on your lot. I was surprised to hear that. Woody

Hey Woody, how about putting a little 21st century power into this gem as well? I bet if you worked it right , you could get a grant from the EPA or Department of Energy to finance it. You could even use the heat bi-product for keeping the snow cab warm when using the blower and plow! http://www.ballard.com/pdfs/power%20gen/Nexa%20Spec%20Sheet_FINAL%20_Apr%205%20_1page.PDF Tom(PK)

Nice find Woody! I lost track of the elec-trak discussion board address, but Max can show you the way. I had an E-8, It's a pretty cool tractor. I think the reason thay didn't make it is that they were too far ahead of their time - they'll be back! Check out this site & and ask Max for info to the GE electrak discussion board. I think you'll like it! http://www.maxmatic.com/maxindex.htm John(ri)

GE Elec-Trak Enclosed Cab/Snow Cab [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2051047550[/url] Safety glass windshield Electric wiper on front windshield Snap on heavy nylon (rubberized) side curtain with vinyl windows Large zippered doorway Pocket flap opening for easy access to operate snow thrower (not included). Fits E20, E15, or E12 Very nice to have when blowing snow with the Ge Elec-Trak. Keeps you dry & warm Simple rugged steel construction for strength & easy assembly This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I probably drove past this guys house today since I went to the other end of Pennsylvania next to Pittsburgh. Picked up the tractor. Nice cab I'll see what happens, thanks. I'll add more info later but I do know the main drive motor works! Woody

Well I think I have found the most unusual garden tractor accessories offered by GE. First you cut your grass and then take that well deserved break. Without getting off the seat.

Here's another nice looking Electrak, case some of you guys are lusting after Woodys"....Art [url]http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/photoads/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=20651&query=retrieval[/url]

Here it is after 10 minutes of glass plus to clean off the grime. The only rust is on the floorboard and foot rests. Both battery compartments are rust and corrosion free. I'm glad I found this one it's almost like new. Not bad for a 32 years old garden tractor. I like to look at it this way better than in the abandoned coal mine building.