Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

More ? about lights

two questions, i will need a backup light for the sov this winter, hold yer horses, yes i saw the other post, why cant i go down to the local fleet store and "find" one there. Can anyone tell me what size i can safely use, watts, amps, ect. And, Those with snowblowers, did you raise up a light to shine over blower? is it a problem, if so what and how did you do it? thanks in advance. Doug ps, any pics would be apreciated.

Kent
Doug, I'm using a NAPA aftermarket utility light for the rear work light on my "HB-216" as shown in the pictures below. (The larger version of each picture is the hyperlink below each small one.) http://www.simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/Dcp00453.jpg http://www.simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/Dcp00451.jpg Walmart sells them even cheaper than NAPA, but I've found that the mounting/adjustment on the Walmart one was kind of flimsy. I tried one, and it kept getting knocked out of adjustment due to "close encounters" with the overgrown shrubs that I have far too many of... The NAPA one is must more "heavy-duty." This one is a sealed-beam, but they also have them in Halogen. I haven't tried the Halogen ones, and I'd have a concern about them drawing more juice than the generator (or alternator) on these small engines can provide. I've forgotten how many Watts it was.... As far as clearing the snowblower, the headlights still shine over it pretty well in their stock mounting location -- quite well when the blower is down and being used. It's only an issue when you have the snowblower raised for transport... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

PatRarick
Steer clear of the rubber or plastic lights that have a through bolt for the up and down adjustment. It seems as if you can't get them tight enough to remain in adjustment. Look for one with the "ball and socket" type mount where you adjust the light and tighten it in place with the mounting stud. I have found farm equipment salvage yards to be the best supply for a good used, reasonably priced lights. I can usually find them for about $5 there. May need some sanding and painting, but the quality is excellent. Pat

Spyder
Hello all, Another factor is lamp wattage. The NAPA tractor lamps are rated at 35 watts, which calculates to a little less that 3 amp. at 12 volts. I think the generator on my B-110 is rated at about 12 amp. (someone tell me if this is wrong). This means that you can have up to 4 lamps when each is rated at 35 watts. If you go with a bigger 50 watt lamp, this is a 4 amp load and you can have at most 3 lamps. If there are other loads on the generator, such as an electric clutch or other device, then these loads must be taken into account. Just remember that a 12 amp generator output results in a maximum load of 144 watts total. If you exceed this, you may burn out the generator or regulator or both. DaveG Added: Always install a circuit protective device, either a circuit breaker or fuse in the light circuit to protect from accidental short circuits. I used a 15 amp fuse, works great.

Kent
I use the aftermarket automotive three-position (off, 1st and 2nd positions) pull switches, that come with a fuse on the backside of the switch. I wire it so the 1st position turns on the headlights only (using parking light or tail-light terminals on the switch), and the second position, all the way out, also turns on rear work light (using the headlight terminal) on the switch. That way, I don't have to turn the rear work light on unless I need it... I usually wire each headlight individually, one to the parking light terminal on the switch and one to the tail-light terminal. The "eBay specials" headlights on my Big Ten actually have high and low beams, so I wired it differently -- so that the 1st postion is low beam and the 2nd position is high beam. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

djarvis949
On my 712h I have 2 Guide headlamps, A rear mounted worklamp ( I believe it is a GROTE) 2 tail lamps that I also use as flashers, and I use a pole mounted strobe when plowing snow. I live on a main highway with heavy truck traffic and I want to be visable!! I have run these lights for about 20 years with no problems(actually the headlamps I have are replacements for the 4 little OEM lamps that the pins wore out on). I do have the tractor wired up with 50 amp Anderson connector on battery so as to connect trickle charger which I leave on the tractor in the Winter. I had the cheap WalMart (BLAZER brand) lamps and they are Junk (there is no spacer in the mounting to tighten bolts against)!! The lamps sold @ NAPA (the GROTE) are quality rubber units and only about $9 bucks each. Don't forget to fuse everything, I use ATO blade fuses, just crimp 3/16 insulated terminals on the wires to save the cost of fuseholders. Don