Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
colm

voltage regulators

colm
have no problem but am curious about voltage regulators. I have a delco-remy non finned reg, 3 pole on my Tecumseh HH120 12hp engine. Are voltage rgulators with 3poles, non-finned, interchangeable on different make tractors. I often see regs listed on Ebay. sometimes new one, mostly used, and have thought about picking up a spare. Anyone have experience with this.

Al
Hi, Usually voltage regulators are matched to the alternator or generator. More so relating to generators. If you use a regulator with a higher current setting than the generator you have, it can burn out the generator. Particulatly the starter generators which only have 1/2 the field coil of a regular generator. If you use a regulator for a 25 or 30 amp generator get ready to buy field coils for the starter generator if you ever have the battery really low or a high load on the system. If you are interested I did some articles on starter generators and regulators and some other electrical stuff. I intend to continue this Winter when things slow down a little, on basic trobleshooting and applying electrical theory to trouble shooting. Maybe some fuel system articles also. These articles are on this site, but I don't know how to tell you to find them. I only take time to read the tractor discussion posts, and haven't looked around elsewhere. They are also on our website. edensltd.com Click on technical articles and keep opening up until you get to the detailed articles. Good luck, Al Eden

Al
Hi, I forgot to mention that for generators there 2 types of regulators and generatore. A circuit and B circuit. On an a circuit application the regulator controls the generator by gounding and ungrounding the generator field. In a B circuit the regulator applies and removes voltage to the field. An A circuit regulator cannot be used in a B application and visa-versa. A large number [not all] of Ford products used B circuit gens. GM used both. Most commonly 25 amp and lower were A circuit and 30 amp and higher were B circuit. Even though they both gen and reg. look exactly the same on the outside they WILL NOT interchange. I would not recommend using used regulators or regulators I did not know the specs for. If you buy a new regulator it should last for years, and may save you other expenses. We will not put a used regulator on one of our used tractors at our shop. Usually it will come back to bite us. We cannot afford to have to do it over. Good luck, Al Eden