Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gretsch

Powermax mower deck compatability

gretsch
I was asked this question and I do not know the answer. Will a AC 5020 / 5030 mower deck mount up correctly and work with an AC616,620.720, or a Powermax? From what I can remember, it looked very similiar to my 620 deck. Is it the same deck or do they have differences that would affect compatability?

JeffG
Yep, they are the same deck with one minor difference. PowerMax series discharges to the right and the 5020 series discharges to the left. You need to swap the chute and deck block (cut out and reweld in), transfer idler pulley to the opposite side and of course, switch to right-hand discharge blades. You may also need to do some minor cutting and tacking with the baffles - not sure. I think that's about it - mounting is identical. I have never performed this swap myself - but, I knew a guy that did and his deck worked great. Good to know this is a viable option, to be able to utilize some later model decks. Good luck. Jeff

gretsch
Thanks for the info Jeff. I thought you had abandoned "SimpleTractors", good to hear/see feedback from you again. Ron: I know what you mean about the belt twist, I have a 7016. I cannot see it working on a Powermax type tractor due to the way the mount is set up, but who knows. I actually wondered if it would be possible to change the idler spring setup to allow the back of the belt to run off the main pulley after reading Jeff's reply. I don't need the deck, but I thought someone on here might. I looked at it about a month ago but did not need it (if it did fit). I listed it in the classifieds but it is not mine so I cannot play with it to see what might work (other than Jeff's idea which seemed very solid).

GaryK
I'm no expert, but if you change the chute you will also have to change the rotation and get new blades for opposite rotataion. Otherwise, grass will pile up under the deck where the chute used to be.

JeffG
Gretsch: Yep, I'm still lurking around in the shadows. I've just got some other interests taking my time, now. GaryK: ... if you change the chute you will also have to change the rotation and get new blades for opposite rotation You are correct and that was addressed in my previous post. Jeff