Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

12 HP Briggs

I need a good used 12 hp briggs model #300421 type 012701,prefer a good running used but would consider a rebuilt.I live in western Connecticut.It is out of a 1969 simplicity sovereign. Thank You, Pete Thanx for being here guys. Pete.

roma3112
pert my first question would be what is wrong with the engine you have? These old engines are pretty darn tough, short of having a MAJOR EXPLOSION just about anything oon these are fixable. I have rebuilt several of these 300321's and most of the parts are still available. The problem with these engines is that they do not meet epa specs and are thus no longer available in a complete engine form, short blocks are still available when i looked into getting one for my 3112h they were around 800.00 If a member has somthing you could fit in yours great if not consider rebuilding. Also if you decide to rebuild go to your local briggs depot and pick up their "antique engine service manual" this covers that 300421 series and is invaluable if you try to tear into your engine. hope this helps john

goatfarmer
I had a cast iron 10 HP Briggs in my 3410 Landlord,72-73 vintage, that went south.I was told by 2 Simplicity dealers that you couldn't get parts for it,too old,etc.So I repowered with a newer Briggs. Since then I've learned by hanging around here that them old engines still have parts available. I bought the replacement engine on EBay,and probably have as much $ in repowering as I would have in rebuilding the old one. But the repower engine was brand new,with modern electronics. Just one more thing to think about. kenny

MikeES
Here is an example of the costs to rebuild a 16hp (32ci) this last spring, by an engine rebuild shop (they did all the work). Bore engine, turn down crank shaft, new piston, rings, piston rod, grind valves, weld in new threads for spark plug. Boil out engine and reassemby, set valves. Total cost $375. This engine was given to them with all shrouds removed and reasonably clean up. It does not cost that much to put these engines back to almost new. Good Luck! Mike S.

HubbardRA
I put new rings in a 1968 B/S 10 Hp this spring. Rings cost about $35, but they were still available. I think the only difference between a 10 and a 12 is the piston diameter. Rod H.