Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Jonjacobson

Rebuild kits for B&S

Jonjacobson
Already thinking ahead to winter project #1, rebuilding the vertical 5-horse B&S on my Serf 515. It starts good and has enough power but produces clouds of oil smoke and you can't stand to mow with it. Otherwise this tractor is really nice! Any recommendations on parts suppliers for this engine? Thanks ahead, Jon

dlcentral
The secret to a good rebuild is to machine all areas to oem specs bore,crank and valvs//guides.and of course install all new parts,piston,rings,rod and possibly valves.

HubbardRA
If the cylinder is not scored and the tractor is not knocking, you can probably get away with only a new set of rings. Sounds like the engine may have been overheated. On most small engines the rings will lose their temper (springiness) if overheated. My son blew the oil fill plug out of a Hp, replaced the plug, but did not check the oil. Engine got hot and ruined the rings. I replaced the rings only, and I currently mow my yard with this engine. No smoke, uses almost no oil. If you want it totally like new then you need to do a complete rebuild back to factory specs, as Dave said.. Rod H.