Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012 variable speed belt

dirtsaver

Well gang I have the 3012 I bought up and running. It only needed a carb rebuild and a new coil ,which I switched out for a late model electronic coil I had on the shelf. She purrs like a singer sewing machine now. All it needs now is paint, new lights and a seat cover. Oh yeah! And a belt for the vari-drive! It seems the belt has stretched or worn and and it slips, especially in second and third gears. Make a squall to wake the dead! Does any one know if they are still available thru the dealer and how much they will run? thanks! Larry

The belts are still available, and will cost about $55 more or less. Couple of questions, though: 1. Have you thoroughly cleaned any rust or buildup off both the front and rear pulley sides? These things need bright and shiny pulleys so the belt will slide up and down. 2. Have you carefully adjusted the belt according to the procedures in the manuals? Here's a link if you don't have the manual: http://www.simpletractors.com/service/vari-drive_adjustment.htm In my experience, when they slip, it'll be under load and they do so quietly... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent > Thanks for the info! I have the Large Frame Repair Manual and had made the adjustments per the book. This tractor had sat maybe 7or 8 years and the belt was very stiff. The strange thing is, I drove it for a couple of hours before it started squalling. We can smell the belt and it gets very hot real quick. I slicked up the pulleys and the belt moves up and down freely but seems to be too long and does not adjust to a good tension like we think it should. Do you have any other ideas. we thought it might be a bearing at first but the stethascope does not show any odd sound from the tranny or the BGB. Thanks! Larry

Larry 3012V MFG3 990434/990435 Variable Drive Belt #164080 54.0" long type HI Type HI Belt 1" wide 1/2" thick This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD