Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 920 Diesel

STUALX

dlc - Thanks for the info. I'll print this out and give it to him. He started out to buy this tractor just to get the mounted bagger (I have one and it is a shame that they still do not make it). But it sounds like a great one of kind to have.
Thanks again.
MS

Mike, I had a 920 diesel about 3 yrs. ago.That pound for pound was the best trac. I ever had.I regret selling it now.Mine needed motor mounts also,a common problem with them.The mounts are still avail. at dealers.I wouldn't solid mount the eng.because if you do you might crack or break the block.These things DO vibrate and need rubber mounts.Mine also smoked when I got it.I took out the injectors and VERY Carefully wire brushed the ends with a BRASS wire brush ONLY!That solved my smoking problem.Also valve adjustment is critical to performance,you might want to check that, also along with replacing the fuel filter and air filter.Mine was an absolute monster when blowing snow.We took some vidieo of it. It would take a full 42" wide cut as high as the snowblower and higher at FULL groundspeed!Couldn't kill it.Just my thoughts,tell your friend good luck with it! I paid at an AC dlr. $1100 for mine ,running with a 48" mower!Now I'm keeping my eyes out for another! dlc

My friend has just put money down on a 920 diesel. I have read some things in this forum about the diesel. The tractor is in good shape (my friend has had only AC and Sim tractors) and everything checks out but we know little about the engine. The motor mounts are shot (can the engine be solid mounted?) The engine smokes a little - is this an adjustment? Otherwise it starts and runs fine. Are parts still available for the engine? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
MS

I have a 1985 920 that I have just about got all of the bugs out of. I was out moving tonight, and I gotta say the thing is a monster. The diesel is of concern, as alot of folks look at you perplexed, and then go help the lady with the new Simplicity. If you want to research the motor yourself, and find a competent tractor mechanic (good luck), I have found it worth it. I never had a mower that could dig out 4 inch ruts with it's wheels going up a hill.

This site is of extreme help, of course. There are some real knowlegeable tractor mechanics (if only one lived near me). good luck