Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Painting Wheels Tips/Tricks

mowerman1193

Hi Everyone, I am going to paint my wheels and was wondering about the best way to do this.The tires are in bad shape and I will be putting new ones on it.Would like to paint before installing the new tires but then I think they would get messed up putting the new tires on.Maybe they will go on better than they came off LOL, but if not then I know I will mess the paint up and maybe the wheel too LOL.Maybe I should take it to the local shop to install the new tires. Thanks for any Ideas, mowerman1193

Hi, When we paint wheels, we use a piece of aluminum flashing about 12 inches wide and long enough to go nearly half way around the rim. 16 to 18" works well on a 12" wheel. Bend it in a curve so it fits against the rim and the tire. paint about 1/3 of the wheel and slide it around and paint the next 3rd etc. Works great. If I were going to put on new tires, I would paint the portion that is inside the tire and the inside of the beads, after dry I would mount the tire and then paint the rest of the wheel as above. Good luck, Al Eden

When I removed my old tires I sand-blasted and painted the rims, then carried them and had new tires put on. Encountered a few scratches on tire changer but was easily touched up. If whoever is putting on your new tires does'nt slam them around too bad, you should be alright. GOOD LUCK, TONY

As long as you're taking the tires off anyhow, I would at the very least wire wheel the bead area. The better you clean and paint, the easier the tire change goes from my experience. I recently did a set of fronts where the old tires were completely rotted through so you could see the inner tube. The rust was so bad it held the old part of the tire on the rim and I had to cut it off. There's a sandblaster at work so I just brought them in and did them there. After I primed and painted them I could get the new ones on easily. Here's one of the prepped rears ready to go. I had a post about the whole job of changing to lug tires and filling them with fluid, but can't find the link. Maybe it was before the change to the new clubhouse?

I do not have the equipment to do the sandblasting. Typically, I will just give the rim surface a good cleaning and light sanding. Then I carefully mask the tire, so no part of its showing, and spray with a can....my results are pretty good; if you are not a perfectionist and serves to protect the rims from further rusting......Art [url]http://www.geocities.com/arjr111/ArtsTractors.html[/url]

I put all new tires on my 1963 MW gardenmark when I took it to the tire store I told them to go easy on the mounting because of the new paint. I did not have any problems. John H

I've had good results by wrapping a layer or two of duct tape around the tire irons/"spoons" for protecting the paint. To faster cure the paint, I put the wheels in the oven at 250 degrees F for an hour or so then put on the tires with some silicone spray around the beads for easier mounting. Tom(PK)

There have been previous discussions about the mini tire changer that Northern sells and how well it works. I will vouch for that. I get very little damage mounting tires back on newly painted rims. I use a lightly diluted solution of liquid hand soap for lubrication. It cleans up easily and it works better than silicone without the risk of silicone messing up the paint or getting residue on the next item you're going to paint, a real mess. What minor scratches did occur in mounting were on the narrow outside lip of the rim right next to the bead. I just touched those up with a small art brush dipped in paint after the tires were on and you never know the difference.

Thanks Guys, I think that maybe a mix of the last 2 post might get the job done.Get a small tire changer and wrap some of the tools ect with tape.I have the tire's off the wheels and the wheels on the inside suprised me.They are like new inside.I did run into a problem though.My brother-in-law was over and decided I needed a hand getting that tire off the last wheel.I went in to take a break and get some water to drink and he got a bright idea to take the saw and cut the tire off.Well it worked I guess but the idiot cut a hole in my wheel.I can weld the hole shut with the wire welder but ....still makes me mad. Art, Those are some nice tractors you have on your site. You can check out my project on my site.I have'nt added any updated photos yet, but its looking good. [url]http://www.geocities.com/mowerman1193/index.html [/url] Thanks for all your ideas, mowerman1193

Tony, if you or other members would like to make a home page they are free and fairly easy to build on the Geocities site. I used the Page Wizard, on the site to build mine.......thanks Art [url]http://geocities.yahoo.com/home[/url]

Well there sounds like a couple of good ideas listed above, I just ordered a mini tire changer for myself I hope it works good... As far as your brother in law you seem to be stuck with him.. Maybe you can lend him a helping hand some day..... LOL