Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Attachments

Dutch

Before I acquired my first Simplicity tractor, I was mowing my lawn with a box store machine. For tasks like tilling a garden, cleaning up leaves, landscaping, removing snow, sweeping, cutting weeds and brush, mixing concrete, etc., I would rent equipment, hire someone, or impose on friends. When I discovered the wide array of attachments that a Simplicity tractor could power, I started my collection. Attachments > http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/b_attachments.htm If I was just interested in mowing grass, I’d probably buy a new dependable box store machine. However, I get great satisfaction from being able to tackle a chore without the expense and inconvenience of renting equipment. I’m not under pressure to complete the chore and return the rented equipment within a certain time. Besides owning the attachments, there are no separate engines to be maintained. As long as my tractor is in proper order, it just takes a few moments to connect an attachment and get to work. There are not many posts regarding stories or questions about these attachments. Do you members use your tractors for anything other than mowing grass? Or, are your tractors just collector items? Simplicity offers very few of these attachments today. The reason is probably low sales. If members don’t use attachments, is it because lifestyles have changed? No room to store attachments? Easier just to spend money and rent or hire someone? Other reasons? If you do have and use attachments (other than a mower deck, cart, blade or snowthrower), how about letting us know what you have and how you use them. Are there any attachments you think Simplicity should offer again?

Dutch, I agree with you about the attachments. I don't have anything other than mowers, blades and a cart at the moment. I live in a subdivision on a small lot. Planning to move to a larger place in the country when retirement time comes (about 3 years). Can only keep so much equipment in my garage at the moment. Have four tractors now. On thing that I would like to point out is that the older equipment that we collect is built better and more capable of using these attachments than most of the equipment being sold today. I bought a new mower twenty years ago right after we bought our current home. It lasted 7 years. Mower deck disentegrated. Transaxle was whining, but engine was still good. Junked tractor kept engine. Bought my 61 Wards, even though I knew nothing about it or a Simplicity. I just liked the way it was built. Still have it today, and it performs better than when I got it. Have now added the AC, a Sears, and also have a Murray(basically junk). The ones that I don't have and would like to have when I get more room are a roto-tiller, and a sicle bar mower. I have just recently started on the construction of my front-end loader on the Sears chassis. I am taking your advice and making it bolt-on. Other than a mower and cart, the loader is probably the most useful attachment that I could have. There is just so many things that can be done with a loader. They are good for lifting and carrying things. Everyone has need for lifting and carrying regardless of where you live. That is why I an making an "L" shaped bucket rather than the conventional "C" shape, so that the top is open for carrying large objects such as barrels, washers, refrigerators, etc. Bottom line - knowing the philosophy and attitude of most people today, they would not use attachments because they are too lazy to change them. They will pay someone else to do the job, but will not do it themself. Too much effort - can't watch the football and drink the beer. Rod H.

I have a belly grader blade, dozer/snow blade, tiller and mower deck. Used to have a snowthrower but sold it because it did not work well on my gravel drive. I use the heck out of the tiller. In fact, I have kept the tiller attached to my 916H all summer to cultivate in-between the rows of my garden and till under the parts that are "done" for the year. I would love to have a johnny bucket but $500 is too pricey for me and have only seen 1 used one on this site for sale and it wasn't cheap so I'll probably never have one. Don't think I'd get much use out of a sickle mower, revitalizer, buzzsaw or carry-all box. No other attachments are worth the $. I think the real loaders on the B series size tractors would be a joke for what they cost if you can find one. You could rent a bobcat many times over and do a lot more work for the money and they (tractor loaders) cannot be easy to attach and remove. I just think these tractors are too small for a real loader. Brent

In addition to the mower deck, snowblower, cart and HD dozer blade, I have: Tiller -- I typically till my garden three times a year -- twice before planting and once in the fall. These are great tillers for large areas, and leave the soil every bit as "fluffy" and well-prepared as my Troybilt. I use the Troybilt only for cultivating between the rows now.... I'm also using the tiller to redo my lawn. This spring I tilled up the front lawn, levelled it, and reseeded it. Next year will be a different area.... Vacuum -- Mostly used in the fall to pick up leaves. My lot is surrounded by LARGE trees on two sides, in addition to the trees I have. I can pick up more leaves in two hours than I could by raking for two days. Most of those leaves go onto the garden and get tilled in. After I spread about 6" of leaves, any remaining ones go to the edge of the woods to rot into compost.... Also use it sometimes during the heaviest growth period (May/June) to pick up grass clippings, otherwise I just let the clippings fly. Moldboard plow -- Only used it once, on a whim, to plow my garden before tilling this spring. I bought it because I need to run new drain tiles for my gutters, and that looks easier than manually digging a ditch... I also got a good deal on it. Johnny Bucket -- My use of the Johnny Bucket is pretty well documented on the site, plus I use it to transport mulch, etc. I just got the Johnny Box counterweight to go with it, but haven't used it yet. Next project will be to move some stone to build a retaining wall... Soon to be added to the collection is a Simplicity 515 loader, when I can go visit Sam to pick it up... and one of Dutch's grader blades for levelling the back yard once I till it and bring in about 40 yards of new topsoil....
Oops! I forgot: (1) the 48" Brinly-Hardy lawn roller I bought this year to roll the front lawn. So far it had done my lawn and those of three different neighbors... (2) the front/rear trailer hitch. Comes in VERY handy for spotting my boat trailer. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I have a 32" roto tiller,42" mid mount blade,10" plow,cultivator,42" snowblower,42"mower deck,46"snowblade,42"snowblade.I have used the mid mount blade to level dirt and grade dirt in the pond,worked good until I got stuck in the soft mud.I had to get my Ferguson 35 to pull the tractor out of the mud.I tried the 10"plow out,used the snowblower one winter. Karl

This is exactly why I bought my Simplicity 2012. Looking at the machines available today, one would have to spend upwards of $3000.00 to get something that is durable enough to hold up to years of mowing, much less any other type of work. Of course, $3000.00 allows you to mow and nothing else. Have any of you looked at current implement prices? Not only prices but what you get for the price? I plan to use my tractor for everything. Currently I only have a 42" mower deck and Cultivator. I will soon have, thanks to Dutch and Dave C. a Midmount Grader Blade and Sleeve Hitch Adaptor. My plans are to find a SnowBlower, Mold Board Plow, Disc Harrow, Spring Tooth Cultivator, Dozer Blade, Heavy Duty Tiller, and the Creme da la Creme, a Front Mount Brush Cutter. This of course will take years to accumulate all of this, but what fun years they will be. I'm very lucky in that my wife is very supportive of my addiction to this website and these old machines. It's also very fun when my young daughters (ages 1 1/2 and 3) want to help me sandblast and paint. My older daughter is quite certain that my favorite color is orange. I'm hoping to get my painting done so I can get my tractor back together and get in some food plots for the deer and pheasants before winter hits. As far as why implements are no longer offered, definently a lifestyle change. Most people find it far easier to pay to have these chores done. I'm sure most people on this website would rather do it themselves. I must admit, for years I have rented a rear tine tiller to work up my garden in the spring. Why? Rent for $40.00 a year or buy for $2000.00. It takes a lot of years to offset the price. Now, I'm sure I can find a decent tiller for my 2012 for under $400.00. Well worth the price, and lots of fun too. A tiller for a new "Garden Tractor", around $1200.00, and their not only junk but they have no style. Ok, I'm finished rambling. Mike

What I have: 30" blade(from 2-wheel walk behind) 42" blade 46" HD blade Johnny Bucket Jr. 42" mower deck Dutch-Built Grader blade roto-tiller dethatching rake coring aerator mouldboard pllow cultivator disc harrow lawn roller box scraper 175# fertilizer spreader snowblower dump cart 4-wheel non-dump cart leaf mulcher(not a Simplicity) lawn sweeper sickle bar mower($227.50 on e-bay,still have to pick it up) To be made: (I have them, need to make mount and drive from the PTO) air compressor post drill(like a drill press) Wish List: revitalizer sweeper firewood saw

I'm 29 years old, so I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm from the generation of people that just buy the el cheapo mowers or buy green (cheap parts with expensive paint). Several of my friends and neighbors have purchased either the Sabres, Scott's version of the John Deere, John Deere LTX's, or the LT's. They all "love" their tractors which is great and I'm glad they do because for $2000 - $4800 they should. But now that they have seen my lawn after it was freshly mowed with the 1968 2110 Landlord, I think they were impressed and surprised, although they will never say it. Most of the green tractors you can't even buy a front blade for them because there are no attachment points for it. (It must have been a cost savings). But not to make this a green bashing, I think people just don't want and/or realize that there were once tractors made like this. Luckily I grew up using a late 60's Broadmoor that I loved. I had forgotten just how cool and stylish they were until I went to the simplicity dealer to get a blade for my push mower. I decided to check out the used mowers because the new ones are way out of my budget. I went into the barn to see and there was that old Broadmoor. I couldn't believe my eyes and just how cool it really was. I had completely forgotten. It had been erased from my memory. I got to thinking and wishing for that mower. I then found this site and all the great things that the some of the tractors can do. So I then decided that the Broadmoor was too small and I stepped up to the Landlord (which I picked up in the town I live), which so far seems like it will be much easier to find attachments. I have now picked up a snowblower which I can't wait to use this winter (and I WILL go up to the neighbor's with the green tractors and do their driveways - no cost - I just want to hear from them "that's a nice tractor"). Wishlist (in no particular order and no timeframe): Tiller (for when the 4 month old is big enough to help in the garden) Cultivator (their cool looking and could be used in the garden) Dumpcart Loader (would be nice, but the ground in Michigan is all sand and I don't really need it - just a cart and I already have two long handled shovels) Belly Blade (for use with the snowblower) Sorry for Rambling, but I felt like telling a story...

My first introduction to Simplicity was in 1959 to a Roticul De-Lux #990107 and it's still going strong today. It doesn't have to do as much as it once did because in 1967 my grandfather got a new Big Ten with 42" deck, 32" tiller, 42" dozer blade, and a spike areator. Since it was my job to do all the mowing I am the main reason that he made the purchase...I begged a lot. Soon after, I built a trailer that I still use to haul everything that needs moving...you name it. Also rigged a turning plow(never knew it was called a moldboard plow) and a couple of other plows, one to lay off rows and one to cover planted seeds...don't know the proper name for them either cause I'm a city boy and my grandfather and father are both gone so they can't tell me now. Also I have three more tractors, two Simplicity and another Allis, three 36" decks, a lawn sweeper, leaf vac, and coming soon a grader blade from Dutch and I also plan to get a box scrape. These tractors do anything and everything that I can think of because I'm lazy and I think one of the best inventions ever is the small engine, then Simplicity........I'd rather ride!

I guess I would like to have a front mounted weedcutter and the ganged trail mowers (rotary, not reel). I have had a plow and disc harrow but sold them as they are not near as useful as the tiller. Brent

Brent, what kind of problems did you have with the blower and the gravel driveway? I got a snowblower with the sovereign and was hoping to use it. Is it rocks that you are reffering to? I thought, (hoped), i could use the plow for the first few snowfalls then after the drive had froze down, put on the blower?? I was really please with the tillers performance, club member Jp described it as a regular "dirt zamboni", he was right, i like the fact that when you put the tiller down, it stays there, no fighting or muscleing it around....... I till between rows every couple of weeks in the "new garden" for weed control, works so nice, since wife is cheif gardener, it was easy to justify the purchase....well, easier. Doug

For by B-1 I have a tiller, moldboard plow, combination drag/sled, 42" dozer blade, 42" mower deck, broadcast spreader, sickle bar mower (needs fixing & don't use), and a 5' x 8' utility trailer. Have always liked the fact that the tiller was tractor driven and didn't need another engine to run it. With the hydraulic lift on my new Sovereign I pull steel fence posts which beats trying to get them out by hand. I use my tractors to mow, till, run the trailer around the yard to pick up brush, spread dirt & gravel, drag logs home, plow the garden, till the garden, move stones, stretch fence wire, plow snow, or whatever I need. Wish I had a post hole digger/driller. It is amazing what these small lawn tractors can do.

Roy

I have an L-10 loader with a grader blade on a Big Ten, which gets plenty of use on two gravel driveways and lots of LIFTING and MOVING heavy objects. The grader blade works better if you can stand on it. I also have a Sears tractor with a front end loader that has hydraulic tilt, something the L-10 needs. The Sears is disassembled for new paint. I've got a B-10 with ag tires(tractor treads). I use it for everything you could think of. I have a 42"dozer blade, sickle bar mower, 10" turning plow, 7" layoff plow, disk harrow, cultivator, roto-tiller, mowing deck, and trailer. The only attachments I don't use regularly are the disk and mowing deck. The mower is 42", to large for many places in my yard. And the disk is a joke when compared to a cultivator. I have an old MTD with 15" rear wheels. And a department store mower that I use to cut grass.

Doug, You're right on about rocks. Even with the skids adjusted all the way down, and an additional 1/2-1" sled under them you still pick up more rocks than you realize until the snow melts. Your idea about using the snow blade may work where you live. In Indiana the temp. varies so much that snow usually doesn't last on the ground for long so no "snow pack" will develop. Unless your drive is ultra level or you do not lower the thrower all the way down, you'll be raking rocks out of the yard back into the driveway come spring. Brent

brent, i know what you mean regarding cleaning rocks in the spring. I have a long driveway so i pay the county to plow me out, they wont do the area between the barn and the house, thats what i have to take care of, the county driver is famouse for knocking down mailboxes, backing into vehicles, they have to send him to driving school ever year, nice guy, cant drive. If you offer him coffee, he wants to stay all morning, one time a neighboor called me to tell the driver to get plowing so he could get to work. And of course in the spring, we all grab rakes and go down the driveway cleaning up after him.....The rock problem seems to go away once the ground is froze solid. If your drive is properly crowned, it can be a problem as well, the county truck seems to scrape the top off. Doug edit..... i do have a wish list.....like Roy, i wish i had a post hole digger right now, im fencing in about 7 acres, man would than be nice, and a vac. collector would be great!!!! I was intrigued with the generator set up that herb (i think) posted not long ago. It is amazing how much work you can save when you have a good, orange tractor. Does anyone have a pic of a post hole digger in action??????

I must be the new kid in town as I bought my first Simplicity this spring. I now have three though, so I am catching up. My arsenal includes: 1991 17GTH-L 1967 3012 vari-drive 1967? 2110 with no motor and missing a few parts 42" blade 46" HD blade 10" breaking plow 32" tiller with extension kit 42" cultivators with belly mt. shovels 36" cultivators with transport wheels 48" deck for 17GTH 48" deck with mulching plate for 3012 2 extra 12 x 10 rims 4 rear wheel weights front counterweight rear counterweight All the above are Simplicity factory equipment! 1 homemade trailer for yard and garden work 8"breaking plow- unknown manufacture boom pole- homemade 5' x 10' trailer to haul them on Ariens snowblower converted to run on the 3012 Wish List sickle bar mower disc harrow drag harrow carryall a barn to store it all in!!! Larry

Having a small lot, I wind up using a throw away mower to cut the grass, have only used the tractor a few times to cut with. My inventory: 69' Landlord 2110 in good shape. Makissic chipper/shredder.........used last fall 36" Homelite tiller...........leveled some spots in my yard, totally tilled a friends whole yard this spring........one tough mother. Front-mounted Weedcutter........the one with four rotating blades.......have yet to try this. 36" 3-belt snowthrower........took apart, sandblasted,primed, painted, have all new belts/bearings.........been too lazy to put it back together. (2) 36" singlebelt snowthrowers.........used one last winter. 36" snowblade............last used 2 yrs ago. I also had a 67 Landlord 101, and a 72 Sovereign at one time, but collecting proved to be too expensive in the wake of the big "D". Although this stuff is underused at this time, I too, am waiting to get a larger property. Worth having for then. Big box store tracs are worth their weight in plastic. Terry

I use my b-1 all the time at work ,dragging in other tractors that don't run. I made a tow hook for the rear and a 50# front counter weight on front,works really well.I also have a weedcutter that I intended on selling,but after using it this summer,I just can't get rid of it. I mowed 8 foot tall horseweeds with it and it worked great.The only other items I use are the grader blade,tiller,snow blade,and snowblower. I do all my mowing with a newer regent.

Doug, After I tilled the lawn we raked it out, then ran a towed roller over it. Part of the backyard had been 'common' property for years, which means it had been a neighborhood dump. The tiller was unearthing chunks of concrete, 3ft pieces of iron pipe, bricks, you name it......... Looks much better now. Terry

OK, I put my 2 cents worth in. I have 11 tractors all large frame (interchangable attachments) from a 1970 Hb212 to 1979 917. 2 are pulling tractors, 2 are not running. Attachments: 10 mower decks 4 snowblowers 2 rototillers 2 cabs 1 bagger 1 sickle mower 1 belly mount grader blade 1 front mount blade 1 10" moldboard plow 1 disc 2 sets of wheel weights, 4 sets of chains non Simplicity stuff: 1 dethacher 1 broadcast spreader 2 trailers/carts I don't use all mower decks and snowblowers, but all other attachments get some use. Good Luck! Mike S.