Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rims& Spindles

johnmonkey

Will the rims on a AC 710 that use 4.80x4.00x8 tire interchange with a tractor that uses a 16x6.50x8 tire. In other words are the spindles the same length? I wanted to use the wider tire on my 710 (the tractor with the wider tire is a homelite t-13 shuttle made by simplicity)

John, The original wheels from my AC 716 were 6.50 tires. I replaced them with a narrow set from a 710 (6.50s were worn out) Both have same spindles. Same on my 61 Wards also. Rod H.

John, Do you have a specific reason for changing to the wider tires? I personally don't like them -- it's harder to steer when dry and they're almost worthless in snow or loose dirt -- they "float".... I much prefer the narrow tires.... Just curious! Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I'm with you on that one Kent. I took the fats off the front of my 710 and went with the narrow tires and it made 110% differance..especially after puttin on mid section weight to make the local 1060 lb. class..she got real tough to steer then. Charby.. range apeel

I also agree with easy steering on narrow tires.I did put some snow hawgs on the front of my 3112 and it steers pretty good. I think the reason is, that the knobs on the tires only make contact on the ground insted of the whole width of the tire.

OK, here's one for you then...... will 26X12-12 tires fit on the wide rear rims? What do you think the overall effect would be from putting 26X12-12 on the rear and making a new front axle to put 6X12(old 725 narrow rear tires, I'm guessing something like 23X6-12 in modern terminology) on the front? The new front axle would need to be wider due to the larger tire diameter(my lug tires rub the frame now at full steering lock) and possibly angled forward slightly ala Sam's recent modification for the loader. Another concern is keeping the tractor level with the new tire sizes so spindle height must be accounted for too.

To Daddycat, You can make new spindles and use a "C" design instead of the existing "L" design. This will allow you to raise the spindles nearly 3 inches, which should compensate for the higher tires. To use 26x12x12 tires, you should have rims that are 11 - 12 inches wide. I have two sets left over from pulling. Both sets of wheels were widened by cutting the rims and welding in a band to make them wider. Rod H.

I wanted to go with the wide rims for because the local small engine repair had a junk homelite t-13 shuttle and the rims were not rusty so I wanted to swap them out. (it would save time painting etc). I think your correct though because the large turning radius plus difficult turning. Thanks for your ideas John H