Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

14 briggs

charby5

Is there such a thing as a 14 horse cast briggs single ? I have never seen one is why i ask..I know they made the 10..12..13..and the 16 but never heard of the 14hp ..can someone enlighten on this subject..? thanks Charby.. range apeel

There was both a 14 and 15 HP Briggs single... According to the handy-dandy engine reference page here: http://simpletractors.com/parts/engine/sovereign.htm The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Hi Charby Yes Briggs built a cast iron 14hp. I don't know the exact years built but I think they run close to the 16hp. A good friend and Wheel Horse fanatic that I restore old garden tractors with has three in the barn now, waiting to be freshened up. Larry

Hey, thanks a bunch guys ..I got a couple of them in the barn too. according to the numbers..and here all this time i thought they were 16s..well, im glad to know exactly what I got out there now..but now im down to one 16hp ..lol thanks again,, Charby range Power

Hi, most of these were 1 year deals. Most, were 32 cu in engines, would have to chk on the 12 and 13, as I remember the 14s were 1974 models. Also Larry would you friend be interested in a couple of older Wheel Horses? One out of the early 60s and one out of the 70s. I have 2 here that a customer wants to sell. e-mail me if so. Thenks and Good Luck, Al Eden

Hi..your right..the 14hps is in the 32cu.family..which now brings up another question. Early 14s model #s started out 320____ .later models started out 326____. same as the 16hp. My question I have now is ..With the blocks,bores,strokes and the valves the same how are they getting two differant hp ratings, and how can you tell which is the 14 and which one is the 16? That is if they dont have the B&S sticker to look at.. Charby... range apeel

The difference could be something as simple as the jets or whole carburator. I was once told that the only difference between the 10 horse Evinrude and the 15 HP I would up getting was the carb and the stickers on the cowling. I don't know how true that is, but if bores, strokes and compression ratios are identical there's not too much else to attribute it too.

Factors that will affect horse power ratings in motors with the same bore and stroke are. Heads = different compression ratio & different combustion chamber size Cam = different cam timing & duration Carburetor = different air flow volume, fuel volume, air fuel mixture This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

here is another possibility for your horsepower question. I have worked in O.P.E sales for many years, currently i am at a local big-box store, some of the tractors we sell have identical engines yet may be rated up to 2hp different. I asked the briggs/mtd rep HOW AND WHY is this??? His explanation is that somtimes in production they either run out of engines or get a sweet deal on surplus engines from the engine manufacturer. So the tractor manufacturer puts these higher priced "larger" engines on a less expensive unit just because they got a deal, yet they dont want to discourage sales of a more expensive unit (whos only main difference is an engine package) so solution, they label the engines 16hp when in reality it may be an 18 ect

Thanks once again guys..i really appreciate the help and the courtesy i've come to know from the site and its members. Thanks again ....Charby.. range apeel

Hi, I need to check this, but I believe the rod and piston etc are the same in the whole 32 cu in group. I do know that the Simplicity 5200 family the 5216 which came out first. and the 5212.5 which came out later as a lower priced tractor both use the same part number short block, the only difference is the carb, and the price. If you notice the 12.5 even had the 48" deck available in the later units. One could not tell the difference mowintg with these units. The only real difference was Briggs price. This is called strategic marketing and optimizing profits. In last years Kohler school they advised that when we see a 17 hp Sears and we check the numbers it is a 14 hp Kohler Command, Sears bought the 14 with out decals and by their rating system, rate them 17 hp and put Craftsman 17 hp labels on them. My 2 cents worth and its free value accordingly. Al Eden