Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Read

UCD

Maynard, I think I know what you mean. But, let me play devil’s advocate. There is so much information on this website, it can be overwhelming (especially for new users). At times I have problems finding something in the message archives that I wrote myself. Same with info in Simple tractors, there is so much. Plus, if most members took the time to research for themselves, this forum would become stale and boring. When a member asks for information that I know is available, I direct them to the source rather than provide a specific answer (give someone a fish, you feed them once….. teach them to fish, they can feed themselves for a lifetime). If you mean the occasional redundant questions from the same user, I usually just ignore them. How about those who only half read a question, and then give some off the wall answer? I guess they just want to help. What can you do……….?

Sometimes, you just have to stop and go back to the very first posting you did on here to see how lost you were. Not everybody who gets on here knows the way around and would just like an answer for a question. Isn't that why we all get on here? To have FUN and enjoy others postings? I know I enjoy reading every post, even if it don't pertain to any tractor I have. Sit back and enjoy the Coffee

Dutch I posted this to get something going. You answered it the way I expected you to. You have a way with words I don't Kris I have a Simplicity it Don't run what's wrong with it? On the same note you answer a question and give all the tech info needed right out of the book and the person doesn't read the answer and posts the same question again. A question is posted and answered and the next post by someone else has the same question. It is very hard to answer a question and give good info with the limited info we are given at times but we all try. A simple Thank you would at lest acknowledge that the person asking the question has read the answer This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

I agree with you Maynard. When we give help and advice to someone, it would be very nice if they would at least post a simple acknowledgment to show that they have seen it. Some people will reply and tell you if your solution worked. Others just seem to disappear once you have posted your advice. I guess some of these guys wouldn't even be thankful if you came to their house and fixed the tractor for them. Rod H.

Rod, You “guess some of these guys wouldn't even be thankful if you came to their house and fixed the tractor for them.”? Well how about the ones that may be thankful? You should offer to do that, find out for sure, and let the rest of us know. Would they have to pay for parts? Is your work guaranteed? Will you provide a loaner tractor?

I like to give people the benefit of a doubt. They may be more busy than I am, and not have time to research, they may need reassurance, be absent minded or preoccupied. May not even read well. I'm sure their are some that may be a little lazy too, but only the "Shadow" knows, which ones.....Art

I wasn't going to post a reply. After all a wise person once said it is better to remain quiet and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt. However, after thinking about it this afternoon I decided I might as well go for it. I have a few thoughts on this topic. I have been guilty of not searching through the archives before posting a question so my comments come from experience on the other side of the coin. In my case there were probably two reasons I did this. The first was that I was just so excited to find a place where I might be able to get some information about my problem that I jumped right to posting a question. I don't remember what the problem was, but I do remember that Dutch helped me out. The other reason is that unless somebody has spent some time here, I don't think they would be very likely to know about the search feature because it is kind of buried. About people not saying thank you; it sucks but some people aren't very polite. I enjoy reading a lot of responses to other people’s questions even if it isn't a problem I'll ever have. I just find it interesting. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even if the person who posts the question don't say thank you, chances are your response is appreciated by many people. I enjoy this site and usually come here at least once a day. Although Kent has done a nice job of putting it together. It's not the new menu system, or the images or anything else tangible that makes it a good site. It is guys like you who know so much about these old tractors, guys like me who don't much about them, and our common interest that keeps me coming back. I literally found this site this past spring when I hated my tractor (an old 7116H) and wished I hadn't bought it. But after hanging around and getting some great advice I slowly started to like my machine and have even become an enthusiast. So much so that want to buy an old Allis to restore (you can't spare one can you :-)). I hope you guys continue to share your knowledge with us new folks. If nothing else, you will always have my appreciation. Thank you! There you have it. Now I have successfully removed all doubt. Thank you for your patience! John Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Hi, I wasn’t going to address this issue. I have several personal feelings. First, I think about my computer abilities. I have friends that I call for help. There are times I talk to them and then a few minutes call them back and basically ask the same thing again, because I didn’t quite understand what I was trying to do. After they go through it again and I can finally ask another point that I didn’t even know what to ask the first time I can see the light. I can sympathize with people that may not know a wheel from a hub, they just bought a tractor. We have these people come in to our shop a lot. I often print off a page of the parts book and try to explain what their problem is or how what is causing their problem works. It is very easy to think: "I can’t believe they have no concept of this." My feeling is, if I want their business, I need to help them and make them understand that we bring something extra to the table. I see some of these questions that are posted that are just like I get across the counter. After I have tried to explain, they sometimes still don’t ‘get it’. Then I repeat and maybe cover another point and the light bulb comes on. I personally don’t know how to properly post a picture to this site, and don’t know a lot about how to search for items. I don’t even know how to go and find the tech articles I have written, I suppose, if I had a bunch of time I could eventually find them. I have a very slow connection, probably twice as slow as it was a year ago. When I get on I go to the talking tractors section and scan the titles on the posts. I usually read the ones that may have a question that I might help someone with. If it is a question that I feel others will address, I often skip responding, though maybe in a day or 2 will maybe read the responses. With new people asking some of the old questions, we also get new people bringing new approaches to the problem that may have not been brought up before. This is not to mean I object, but a title like what do you call your tractor, I usually don’t read, but a question about something broken that has been addressed before I will probably read. I am trying to say that there many different views and interests covered here and I don’t feel any are necessarily wrong. If every one liked pink cars we would be a “pink carnation”. I just ignore things like second posts if I am not interested in replying. It seems to me, questions are often posted more as a way to be a participant in the commraderie, with out knowing how ask something more focused. I can see the other side, but notice a lot of people seem very grateful for a response to some “OLD HAT” questions. Then they continue to participate. They belong. That is how the site grew. As long as I have been around, I presently have a little uncomfortable feeling. I may be getting a 616 mower and loader. I was thinking about posting for thoughts regarding splitting the loader out and what it might bring stand alone. Now I detect feeling that this would be an undesirable post. I intend to try to write some more tech articles, like practical electrical trouble shooting, to apply some of the theory I have covered. Fuel systems and ignitions systems, belts and belt guides, maybe some on hydraulics and hydros are items I may address. Just need to get the time. Thanks for letting me unwind. Stay Cool. I really love this site, Lead on. Al Eden

Al No question is a dumb question. I allso feel everyones opinion is valued. As should the answers to the questions and problems posted. But to criticize some one for an answer to an off the wall question. Why bother to ask in the first place. I especialy injoy your posts and answers to problems I Read them and all ways learn something. If all dealers we as helpful to there customers as you are we probably would not be needed here. And sometimes i should put brain in gear before putting foot in mouth!!!!!!!! This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Well, I just got done going on the ST home page and did a search for 42" mower, then looked at all the pages that came up. Now what do you want me to do? (This is supposed to be a humorous comment, don't take offense) Many good points have been expressed. I agree that it's the membership that makes this site so good.

I agree.You guys are the best.Last spring I had a dead 3410 that I was contemplating junking,and maybe going green. Info provided here showed me that it could be resurrected.Now the orange fleet numbers 6 and still growing. They tell us at work to treat people as they would expect to be treated. It's common courtesy to say "thanks" to someone who has helped you out. I think society in general lacks common courtesy.But now I'm heading for the coffee shop! Anyway,keep up the good work,gang,and don't let a few lemons ruin the day! kenny L

Hey, this reading thing is pretty cool! Actually, I'm stuck in the control room for a week and since we're on 12 hour shifts there's plenty of time to kill. I just did all the articles in the DIY area and picked up a few good ideas. I haven't worked up the gumption yet to go back to the start and read all the posts from day 1, but I still have 2 more nights to go...... BTW, have any of you ever seen the dual lift option that Simplicity made? I read through some of the Attachments pages and saw that it was an option but have not seen it discussed here. I was wondering if it was anything like the idea for an independant left side lift that I posted as a reply to the "When were 3310s made" and Dutch built about a month later. OK, I tried finding the archived posts so I could get the link and paste it here. I even tried reading to find them (lol) to no avail. I checked the Archived Posts box in the search function. No luck there either. Any ideas?

Kirk, Try searching for ALL these words: right lift lever Check the option to search the archives... You can't link to search results, only individual topics, or I'd have done that... Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Lately it seems to be alright for some people to voice their opinions, but not others. Story of my life, never been with the "IN" crowd. Rod H.

I've probably been guilty of not expressing my appreciation for the help that I've received from this site but it took me a few weeks to try the suggestions that I had received and by that time the subject was long gone from the forum. I did look up the names of the persons that had given me suggestions and sent them a private thank you but I have no idea whether they got it or not.