Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
stumpy

Homesteader 8 question

stumpy
Just talked to a fella about an AC he wants to get rid of before moving. From what I got over the phone it sounds like a Homesteader 8 in very good condition with a blade. Any ideas on relative value? Since I don't see a direct cross-reference to a simplicity machine, will parts be a difficult matter down the road? If the price is right I might pick it up for swapping, or for my little brother (anything to seperate him from the MTD he uses now). Personally I'll stick with the B-series. Any input concerning things I should look for/endemic problems would be appreciated. I'm fairly unfamiliar with the AC Homesteader. Thanks much, Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Kent
The Homesteader 8 is a later version of the B-208, and looks very comparable to a Broadmoor of the same vintage. With no firsthand experience, I can't speak to the interchangeability of attachments since Allis may have been forced to make them not interchange, as was the case with the 300 and 400 series.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

stumpy
Well....from what I've been able to figure out anything on my B-112 would take some modification to work on the Homesteader. That's OK, it's not something I want to keep....I have a few other machines in mind as far as adding to the collection. Just hate to pass up a clean vintage AC if it isn't a model with a known major defect. Reckon he's thinking of a price in the $200 dollar range for tractor and blade. Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Kent
I wasn't clear in my reply... I was talking about the ability to interchange implements with a Broadmoor. The attachments for the larger tractors likely wouldn't work at all... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

RickA
I now have 2 Homesteader 8s and a B-208. The b-208 actually came with a mower deck off from a Broadmoor. I have also put the snow blower hitch from my Homesteader onto a Broadmoor that I used to have. I have not had any problems so far. I really like mine. I would not pay more than $100 for one though, at least I havn't had to yet. RICK

stumpy
Rick, Two questions for you, if you don't mind.... First, how well do your machines handle the snowblower? and what size is your mowing deck? Going up to take a look at it right now...couldn't tell all that much in the half-light last night. My brother has pledged to forsake his MTD if I can swing a deal for this, and find a mowing deck that'll work on it. The 42" deck off of my B-112 would be a wee bit much, I think <BG>. Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook