Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

Split axle tubes?

jlasater
Have most of my small machine shop put together, and I recall some folks talking about splitting the axle tube(s) on 716H type models. Wouldn't machining a close fitting tube (say .001" press fit) to press on the existing axle tube reinforce it substantially? Or am I wrong as to what the problem really is? Just thinking about winter projects for my tractor (other than possibly building a loader :-)

HubbardRA
Can't help with this one. I haven't had any problems with axle tubes on my 716H. I do however, have a loose key that holds the gear to the left axle in the diff. Got another diff and axle to replace it with. I have found that using the hydro stick only will give some very hard jerks when you try to start off from a dead stop, and you can easily go too far and reverse directions. I use the clutch all of the time for smoothness. This jerking could be causing cracks to develop and turn into splits on some of the tractors. Rod H.

BillC
The axle tube does fail due to cyclical loading due to acceleration and deceleration forces applied to the keyway between the gear in the transmission and axle tube. The axle tubes tend to crack starting at the keyway and over time migrate radially outward towards the differential. When the crank migrates ouward past the seal, then transmission fluid leaks out of the tranmission and onto the floor. The left-hand axle shaft keyways also tend to fail at the differential. In my opinion, the correct design fix is to spread the forces out radially, thus reducing the stress, by replacing the keys and keyways with splines at both the transmission gear and differential.