Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 vs. 982

Guest bbMan

I am new to this utility tractor thing and could use some advice. I am looking for a utility tractor to do the following. I mow about 15 acres on our farm. I collect the grass using a Commercial Cyclone Rake ( big vacuum system) pulled behind the tractor. I compost this with rotten sawdust which makes good stuff for plants (we are starting a plant nursery). I want a tractor with a 60" mower and enough power to pull the Rake. I would also like to either build or buy a loader and possibly a backhoe in the future. My question is can anyone give me an honest unbiased comparison between a 9020 PowerMac and a Cub Cadet 982. They both seem to have about the same power and options. I am leaning towards the 9020 simply because I currently have an old LandLord 2110 with manual lift which was given to me. That thing just doesn't quit. It is always amazing me with the power it has from such a small engine. Anyway, any thoughts, ideas or even biased comments will be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with a Cub Cadet 982. Is that a newer tractor? Anyway, a Simplicity Powermax tractor including the 4041, 9020 and its AC 620 and 720 brothers are virtually identical tractors. They are a very heavy duty tractor at about 1500# w/o attachments. They're just slightly smaller than an International Cub-lo-boy. I have three powermax tractors that I use for tilling/planting sweetcorn, plowing the driveway, landscaping w/loader&backhoe, and mowing. I love the awesome power they have over any garden tractor. The drawbacks to the powermax are: 1.) that they use a cat 0 3pt hitch and most compact tractors like kubota's have a cat 1 3pt hitch. (even if they are smaller lighter tractors) 2. that they have a non-standard 2000 rpm PTO and you basically have to use power driven attachments that were made for the tractor. 3.) that they were discontinued about 20 years ago and attachments/parts are sometimes difficult to find. The biggest advantage to the powermax owner is www.simpletractors.com because if you really need a part or attachment, you can usually find one here among the other owners or in the classifieds. If you're looking for a compact hobby tractor that will do a lot of work for you also, the powermax is the one you want. They are the "hum-vee" of garden tractors. If you want a compact tractor for your livelihood I'd recommend checking out the forums on [url]www.tractorbynet.com[/url] Glad to have you as a member! I think you'll like it here. (There's a lot of info for your keeping your Landlord "tip-top" too!) Feel free to email or send a private message if you have any more questions.

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

Hi Ed, as a point of interest, let me also, refer you to this previous thread.....Art [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8558[/url]

I think Simplicity and Cub Cadets are both good machines BUT I would buy something new. Take a look at these. http://www.puma-machinery.com/page810937.htm Puma is selling the same machine as Northern. The difference is this guy builds his own brand backhoe and loaders. His prices are cheaper than Northern. Everything on these tractors is standard in that the PTO is standard and all normal implements fit. It's a good machine. 15 acres is a lot of grass to cut. You need a bigger machine than you have contemplated in my opinion. These machines are not junk (haha), just made in China. Woody ADDED: Here's a list of other dealers selling Jinma tractors. http://www.chinaimporters.com/tractors/jinma-dealers.htm

Here's another link if you want to stay somewhat brand faithful: http://www.agcostcompacts.agcocorp.com/ The AGCO ST30 is a nice machine, I've looked at one but too rich for my blood. (for a hobby anyway) Here's a pic:

Here is a link to some info/pic's of a Cub Cadet 982 http://www.geocities.com/jluckeycub/982.html The powermax is what I would call a "compact" tractor, the 982 is a large "garden" tractor. They both are the same H.P. but the powermax I think can do more work due to weight and size. The powermax is about 50% or more bigger than the 982. I think both of them are to small for mowing 15 acres though. What are you mowing with now, how long does it take? That may give us an idea of your workload/needs. If there is another 982 out there that I am confusing with this Cub, I apologize. I thought International had a larger compact tractor also named a 982 but could not quickly find a pic of it. Rob

Rob, Thanks for posting the link to Dennis Frisk's 982. I can see it's a great garden tractor, but it looks quite small compared to a powermax. Here's a pic of Stan Danielson's powermaxes for comparison: I couldn't agree with you more! While the powermax is about twice the size/weight of the 982, I think Ed is looking at more of a diesel compact application. If that's not in the budget, maybe an 8n Ford or Fergusen, or a Farmall A. Fifteen acres is a lot to ask, even of a powermax. Just my honest opinion.

Ed, Please understand, I don't know anything about "utility" tractors. The following is just for your consideration. If I wanted a single tractor with a loader, and possibly a backhoe, and I had 15 acres of grass to mow, I would consider a trailing gang mower(s). A decent size tractor shouldn't have any problem pulling mowers 5', 10', 15' wide or wider (would make short work of 15 acres). A separate engine(s) powering the mowers wouldn't demand power from the tractor. The only trick would be the vacuum collection. But, with Tees it might be possible to adapt your Cyclone Rake. If not, deck mounted blowers are available.

Man I like this place!! It doesn't take much to get the information flowing. I really appreciate all of the responses. I didn't explain my workload very well in my first post. Although I have 15 acres to mow, I don't mow it all at once. I have four fields about equal in size which total about 15 acres. I mow each of these in rotation ( 1 a day) once a month. Collecting the grass for compost is an important part of our operation so I don't consider it mowing as much as harvesting the grass (am I dislusional?). Paul I really appreciate the pictures. They give me a real sense of the size of a PowerMax as I have never seen one up close and personnel. I agree with the suggestions about diesels but they all seem to be way out of budget range. I am now mowing (excuse me- harvesting) with a Lowe's Garden tractor with a 48" mower. It was also a gift. This thing has an 18 HP Twin B&S but has a variable speed pulley belt drive system that really sucks. With all that engine HP it does'nt have the power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's rearend (to paraphrase my late great grandmother). So wouldn't take much of a tractor to graetly improve mu situation. A Powermax would be like dieing and going upstairs. Would someone please teel me about the PowerMax 9020 engine. Are they all the same? Thanks again for all the help. Ed

Ed, The 9020 and the earlier 4041 model along with the AC 720 and the earlier 620 model are virtually the same and parts are interchangeable among all these tractors. These all use a 19.5 HP Onan Twin Cyl engine. The engine is a real workhorse and will take a lot of punishment and still come back for more. Keep them well maintained and they should last a good long time. Buying a used tractor as any powermax would be, you dont have control over how the engine was maintained previously. If it doesn't smoke and runs smooth, you should be OK. This motor can cost upwards of $2500 to rebuild because of parts pricing. There are conversion kits available now to replace the motor with a current model 24 hp Honda or 23 hp Briggs. This does two things: 1) as more motors are converted, used parts become more redily available, and 2) gives a real cost effective replacement for the onan. The other major component is the Hydrostatic transmission. Most parts for this unit are readily available as Sunstrand still furnishes the unit for some commercial lawn equipment. This unit, if properly maintained, (which isn't much maintenance at all) will outlast the tractor. To know if the hydro is good on a powermax, drive the tractor in third gear (it has three speed ranges) on level ground and operate the hydraulic lift. If operating the hydraulic lift affects the speed of the tractor there may be excessive internal leakage in the unit. These tractors came with certain options including 3pt hitch, rear pto, hour meter, front hydraulics. For your purposes I think you'll want at least a 3pt hitch and rear pto. Front hydraulics are nice too. Here's my powermax 4041 with loader and backhoe. (See DIY section for the homemade backhoe): And here are my two 9020's: