Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ColinB

Agco Allis with Peerless transaxle problem

ColinB
Hi everyone- A neighbor has an Agco Allis 1516G lawn tractor with a 5 speed Peerless #801-059 transaxle. The ring gear lost a tooth and subsequently blew the aluminum case. Our local dealer cannot get an entire replacement transaxle. Has anyone else heard of this as a weak point? The tractor is only about 7 years old and has not been abused - only mows a couple acres per week on flat, level ground. No heavy loads or "hot-dogging". My neighbor is not happy with his return on a $3200 investment. Does anyone know what other brands of mowers have the same transaxle, as I am about to embark on a search for a replacement. Please let me know where to look! Thanks everyone! Colin

UCD
It might not be available as a complet unit but has he tried getting the seperate parts. Allso the aluminum case can be welded at a good welding shop and order a new ring gear. This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

mowerman1193
I have a Simplicity 4211 with the same transaxle in it.Mine has bad shift keys in it (very common in these) and it makes it do a surging thing or like you hit the brakes for a split sec then let off.Anyway there are lots of brand tractors with the same transaxle.I know John Deere used it and I think Sears.Also I belive that all the Peeress 800 series have the same casings just different gear ratios.Also I would check around at different dealers about getting a new one,sometimes you get a new guy that don't know how to look up the right parts.The reason I say this is I just checked on getting one for mine and my dealer says he can get me one for I belive it was $395.00. mowerman1193