Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wedding Anniversary present

GregB

I just picked up another B Series to add to the growing collection. It is the Big Ten that was on E-bay. It runs good, is straighter, and less rusty than the rest of my tractors. Last year my wife had a good time plowing what little snow we got with my B-10. She also has been fairly tolerant of my collecting and using tools from hand size thru tractor size. This coming weekend is our 18th wedding anniversary. The question is: Do you think it is a little selfish to buy her an Anniversary "present" that I will get to use? Or do I just have the "bug" so bad that I will look for any excuse to justify another tractor. Greg

I've heard (though I have no firsthand experience) that wives somehow just don't appreciate shotguns, chainsaws nor other power tools... I'd imagine that extends to garden tractors, too.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Greg, ive got a couple of ideas on how to make the present thing work..... 1. make sure you have the right date, dont forget it.. 2. present her new used soveriegn with flowers and choclates 3. tell her how you searched your very soul for a practicall gift and this is what you came up with... 4. dont sit on it for at least a week. 5. remind her how you can both till, mow, push snow together.... 6. tell her that seeing her on that tractor makes you want to quit drinking beer and watching football....yes lie. 7. tell her how "young and vivacious" she looks on the tractor. just a few ideas. good luck and happy aniversary Doug

Greg, You're in luck! There isn't any appropriate gift for an 18th wedding anniversary (either traditional or modern). Check it out > http://www.weddingtips.com/annv.html Explain to your sweetheart that you don't care what "they" say. Even after 18 years, she means more to you than ever. Therefore, you had to get her some token to demonstrate your feelings. But, what? Explain to her that the B-10 is still running strong after 30 years. Just like your marriage will be. So, every time you look at that B-10, you won't see a tractor.......... You will see a reminder of her and your rock solid union. PS - It would help to wipe your eyes a little as you tell her.

It helps to have a glass of water handy so you can dip your fingers in and "make" the tears appear at the proper time...... Just make sure she's looking at the tractor when you do it!

My step-brother did this very thing on his 16th anniversary. Being a lifelong bachelor has provided me with excellent powers of observation and an innate wariness. I advised him against the action to no avail. All I can say is, make sure you have manuevering room when you make the presentation...wouldn't hurt to have a helmet handy too. On the other hand, perhaps you're lucky enough to be married to one of those exceptional ladies who appreciate the truly finer things in life....<BG> Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Greg I have to ask what has the precedent been for the first 17 years? If this is better than any of those gifts, then it should not be a problem. My experience is to go without the protective equipment, as wearing it shows that you knew it was wrong! I am thinking of getting my wife the JB Jr for our 14th. Michael

Thanks as always for the advice. Kent, one year I did give her a skilsaw, I did survive. She does have a sense of humor, she married me. Dutch, as always your words are clear and to the point. Some good ideas. But Barb (my wife) made it a little easier to spring this slightly out of the ordinary present on her. She suggested instead of a romantic dinner at a fancy resturant, or a quiet night alone without the two kids (Dad is watching them over night), that we go to a picnic that one of her riding buddies is throwing. The stable owners brother has a band and will be playing, pig roast, etc. With this non-traditional approach, and of course 18 red roses before hand I think I will survive. With any luck I will post pictures of her and the tractor afterwards.

Guys, It does take a wife with a sense of humor. My wife's birthday is Nov 3. One year after we had bought our new house I found a Farmall 460 for sale (late October) at a reasonable price. We had been having problems keeping our long driveway plowed in the winter so I convinced her I could mount a plow on it and use it to keep the driveway open. She agreed, but it took most of our savings to purchase the tractor so I teasingly told her it was an early birthday present. She got a chuckle about it and said it would be worth it if the driveway was plowed all winter long. Well, about a month later I was on my way to a service call when I spied a 6.5 foot snowblower to mount on the back of the Farmall. She graciously allowed me to purchase it and I jokingly told her it would be an early Christmas present for her. To this day I tell people that I bought the tractor and snow blower for her and she has yet to climb up on either one. Ungrateful!! She takes it all in stride and admits with our long driveway it is the best investment "we" ever made. It's been 23+ years and she is a trooper for puting up with me. Stan

Stan With all that snow you get in Washburn you need a tractor and blower so you wife can get out to go shopping. My new wife is from just down the road from you In Ashland. She agrees with your wife. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Maynard, If you got a "County" girl you did good. Yeah... they get a lot of snow in Ashland too. My uncle lives in Frenchville and my cousins went to school in Ashland. His name is Fred Baker and his kids were Kevin, Jerry, Randy, and Lisa. Maybe she knows them. It's a small world and Aroostook County is even smaller.