Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

what's better 16 single cyl. or 16 twin cyl. onan?

john

Jack old friend, I know nothing about the twins but neither one of my 30 year old singles burns oil. Both are just as strong as new. I think the singles just run forever and will out last and twin. Tim

Ok everyone out there. The big "Q" is just what you read at subject? Meaning more torque at lower rpm-more hp at higher-please explain. I know the twins run smoother but are the twins as durable as the singles. And what twin seems to hold up the best? I have been told the kohler is the better??? It seems like all I hear about are singles burning oil as they age and twins throwing rods. Thanks for anyone wishing to answer this big "Q" - any and all comments welcome-jackl

I see alot of disscussion on the forum about repairing and replacing twins but nothing on singles, I rest my case. The guy's with the singles are out riding their tractors while the guys with the twins a wondering why theirs won't run. So you guys that say the twins are better are just wrong, look around and smell the singles out there mowing the lawns. And that is my totally unbiased opinion. Tim

Tim, Very well said I agree totally,show me any twin Briggs or Kohler with any age more than 10 yrs. old that has never been taken apart for some reason!! You have to pay a price for that 2 cyl tractor sound! Anything produced in the last 10 yrs or so is made forPRICE not QUALITY Just my nickels worth! dlc

Well:

Better in what way? Sound? Twins may be better to some but?? Torque? It seems reasonable that having 2 cylinders firing when the engine is down and working is going to give a much smoother and more steady torque. Example is Deere when they finally gave up using just 2 cylinders on their farm tractors.

If moving parts is the point, singles are probably better.

I have a 416, 616 and 919. I've never put them in the same job but I can't help but thing the Onan will out perform the Kohler 16 single and 19 twin. It should. It is much larger in physical size which is not proof but. If the Kohler would have performed as well as the Onan, Simplicity would have saved themselves a lot of expense and stress by just using the Kohler. I know HP is HP but not quite. Different engines get HP different ways. Piston size, stroke and RPMs in different combinations can all give a certain HP but the performamce will be much different. Engines that get their HP from RPMs usually won't keep chugging when a load drops the RPMs. Different jobs require different engines.

Del, I know why JD gave up the 2 cylinder engines and it had nothing to do with performance, they would out perform any other tractor of that time. Don't even go there unless you want me to get up on my soap box. Tim

Hi, I dont want to stir any thing up but I cant resist putting in my two cents worth. I have 2 jd 2cyl. tractors a 520&620 they are torque monsters,when it comes to plowing and pulling.HOWEVER on the subject of smoothness try hooking a belt to the pto and watch it try to run a piece of machinery at low rpm.When I need pto power my little oliver 70 has even the 620 beat. Just an observation I`m not trying to stir any thing up!I love all kinds of tractors. have a great day!!! JBLACK

JBLACK, I won't argue that one with you, I never had one hooked to a belt. I agree that the torque they produce is amazing. I grew up with a JD A, G, and 730 diesel and Farmall C, H, and M. The JD G and the Farmall M were equally rated tractors but that G would out pull the M any day of the week as would the newer 730. JD replaced the Poppen Johnnys mainly because a lot of people did not like the sound of them. I think it was also cheaper to use a more conventional engine. Anyway if we are going to discuss JD's we'll have to change the name of the club. Tim

Twin vs. Cast iron single. Go to any graden tractor pull. If any twins do show up, they get a quick lesson torque! The Stock, stock altered, mod stock classes are all dominated by old cast iron singles and old tractors.