Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jmarkb

PTO Driven Irrigation Pump

jmarkb
Has anyone heard of an irrigation pump that runs off the front or rear PTO? I need to water an area where I do not have access to water and would like to use a 55 gallon drum and PTO pump to water a garden. Any ideas? Thanks Mark Mark Balding

Dutch
A place like Northern > http://www.northerntool.com offers a variety of pumps that can be powered by a PTO. PTO pumps are usually used for drafting. A 55 gallon drum would be used up in a few minutes or less.

Putter
I built a tower for a 55 gal drum out of 4 X 4s. Even better if you can place it uphill from where your garden is the water pressure is quite good. Place it on its side in the tower cradle and have a 1/2 tap in the lower cap. I attached a ball valve before a spigot that takes a 1/2 garden hose end. Then at the other end of the hose a regular sprayer nozzle, turns the water on and off. Leave the top cap off or drill some small holes in it to keep out the bugs. If you are hauling water in 55 gal drums this is a convienient way to water a small garden or a few small trees. Refill the "tower" how you please even use the pto idea. I use a standpipe in another drum and a centrifugal pump powered by an electric drill (powered by an gas generator) to transfer water to the "tower". If you were thinking along these lines and you have a small garden that needs + or - 10 gal at a time and you don't have to fire up the tractor every time you water only when you transfer water.