Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

T-12 Voltage Regulator

gjh

Can anyone help me with an interchage part no for a 3 pole voltage regulator for a Homelite t-12, aka AC 716h, Simplicity 3415h?? Is there an auto regulator I can use. NAPA wants $70 for typical regulator, how about a junk yard/used? Thanks: Gary Hamilton North of Boston

Used is fine if the price is free, or it is gaurenteed to work. When I restored our T-15 I went throuh 3 before I found a used one that worked properly. Regulators are one part I generally would rather not offer for sale. And dealing with all these tractors for parts that I do 1 working out of 3 has been about the rule I've found. I don't know, but sometimes its well worth it to buy the right "new" part. If not in money , in time........ The Simplicity part number for a regulator is 122193

Remember when you are asking about using parts from a car, that cars have not had generators for many years. I have an extra regulator that I am saving, in case. It came off an old motorcycle, It is smaller but from the way it was connected, I think it will work. You might also try "Tractor Supply" they carry voltage regulators for older tractors. Don't know what their prices are. Guess I was thinking Starter-generator, does this tractor have a generator or alternator? Kohler engines had alternators on the AC716H. Big difference in the regulators. Rod H.

Thanks fellas; I do tend to agree with you Sam, penny wise, pound foolish. I'll check $ with Simplicity, Napa isn't always the cheapest way to go. Whats the thought on snow this winter?? Do I get to use my simplcity adapted snow blower I set up last fall that didn't get used??

My Willys Forward Control trucks use regulators. They have two types as in the picture. Anyway, the point is the source for them sells the regulators for $35. Make sure to get a 12 volt regulator. If you want to really save money JCWhitney has replacement solid state regulators for various cars at $9.95. No more points. You'll find them in the index under alternators and accessories. ADDED: I forgot to mention that I prefer to use the original parts. It seems to me that if you buy original you may get another 30 years out of the replacements just like the original. Saving money is cool but keeping the parts guys in business is important too. KaiserWillys Jeep parts, use the online catalog under electrical. [url]http://www.duesouth.net/~meditz/willys.html[/url]

I agree, you should be able to find a new one for about 35.00. The last one I bought for a customers car was 3 years ago and I beleive it was about 30.00. Farm and Fleet or other discount Auto part stores should be able to get you one. If I recall, the regulators for the older 12V Fords are almost identical to the ones used on Allis/Simplicity model tractors. Dan

Gang, Be careful about using an automotive regulator on a tractor starter/generator. The tractor generators are rated for a lot less amps than an automobile. An automotive regulator can burn up your generator. I think someone, maybe Al, had a post on this some time ago. Just waving a caution flag.

Roy

Roy's right. Read through the thread, especially Al's explanation about matching the regulator to the starter generator. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6449

Sorry Simplicity hasn't supplied them in many years. They use to get them from Delco-Remey. Check your local dealer - they usually have aquired another source and may also know which ones to stay away from.