Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JD Rims on a Soveriegn

Brent_Baumer

Here's yet another wheel/tire question. I have a chance to buy some "cheap" wheels off a JD 317 (I think). The tires are junk 23x10.5x12's. Same tire as a Soveriegn. The bolt pattern looks the same but the offsets looks to me to be not as deep as on a Simplicity. Does anyone know if I buy these and put some 23x10.50x12 bar lug tires on them, will I have inside clearance problems when mounted to on the tractor (a 916H)? The tractor I want to put them on is a hydro with the side mounted filter. Thanks, Brent

The bolt pattern is the same. I as far as I know you need the inside offset (not matter which way you face the rim) to match the present wheel. I know that a friend found that the "special" wheels used on the AWS (all wheel steer) John Deere 400 series were the only ones with enough offset to be used on his 7790 Diesel. Good Luck! Mike S.

Was thinkin of pickin up some used 26x12x12 JD wheels, but then ill need some spacers for the back spacing....theres an idea, make some spacers and sell them...And putting studs in too. And also found out that car wheels work too, 205/70R/15 about the max size(without tricking the seat deck) for my sovereigns(dodge minivan wheels)-just turn them around.

The guy let me bring the wheels home to try on. They mount right up but I only have about 1/2-7/8" clearance from the rearend to the inside of the tires. Looks funny too, not to mention the shade of yellow is pretty sickening on my tractor. The tires don't match and only 1 holds air. Might be worth $10 though. I can always paint them and use some spacers. Thanks for the replies. Brent

Measure how much clearance you have from your current tire, then measure from the tire to the mounting face. Add these numbers together. Measure from the other tire to the wheel mounting face. If the distance is less than the sum of the first tire plus the clearance, then the other tires will fit. You also need to measure diameters if you are going to a 26 tire from a 23. None of the wheels I have came on the tractor they are on. By the way, you can stud the Simplicity axles by getting 7/16 fine thread bolts about two inches long and threading through the wheel flange from the back side. You will probably have to separate your diff to do this on the right side. I have studs in both of mine. Rod H.

When it came time to replace the tires on my equipment, I wanted to go to Ag tires due to the fact that I was using my tractors for more than mowing. I have a few hills to mow and use the tractors for garden work also. A friend of mine used to work at a Wheel Horse dealership and told me the price of their tires. The tires were already mounted on rims and were selling at the time for only $47 per tire/rim combination. The rims fit right up to the Simplicities with no modification or clearance problems. All I had to do was to paint them white to match the tractor, since they were painted grey from the factory.

Bill, You reminded me of a time about 13 years ago, my then girlfriend, now wife owned a little grey buick skyhawk. I was 19 years old, cool and drove a '70 RS Camaro. I borrowed the skyhawk sometimes when my Camaro was broke down (which was alot it seemed). I was embarrassed to be seen in it and would take out of the way routes to avoid being seen by anyone I might know. I swore back then I'd never own a "little" truck like an S-10 or drive a mini-van either. I have had both in recent years and could care less now what I drive as long as it is reliable. Funny how my vanity is all but gone. Brent

Cant beat the lil ol s10.,, we've hauled everything from 1800 lbs item 4 to 2 pulling tracs with all weights tools,with our longbed 4.3 v-6 auto.,would possibly like more brakes when maxed out weight wise though!