Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Question

KSever

Since I am new to the Landlord series. I have a question that Maybe I think I know. On the right side of the BGB there is a pulley which looks like you could use a rope on it. Looks like the same pulley that you would use to pull start the engine, but on the BGB ?? What would this pulley be used for ??? Remember No question is a Dumb question....

you answered your own question It is a rope start. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Correction Its a you wind, it you pull it, manual, self starter Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Sort of always wondered why they even needed those BGB rope starters. Didn't almost all of the briggs motors have capability of rope starting off the starter pully above the flywheel? Every one that I have seen has a notch in them for the ropes knot. Dan

I have rope started my 3416H from the bevel gear on the back of the flywheel dozens of time. The large diameter makes it easy. I have TRIED to start my 700 w/ an "easy spin" 8 horse from the pulley off the gear box a few times. IMPOSSIBLE. Cannot spin it fast enough. Brent

I use the pulley on the BGB of my 61 Wards when I have a low battery. Since it runs 1:1 with the engine, it turns really easy. The 14 Hp Kohler that I have on the machine is a bendix starter, so there is no pulley to use on the engine. Rod H.

There is no reason that it shouldn't start with that pulley. The model 19 (7 1/4 hp), 23 (9 hp), and 24 (10 hp) engines had a smaller rope start pulley on the engine than the BGB pulley. With a 1 to 1 gear ratio, the engine will spin faster with the larger pulley on the BVB. The 30 and 32 cubic inch engines had the larger pulley for rope start. My B-1 starts within two pulls from the BGB pulley. Pat