Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Kohler Charging AGAIN!

JCS
The local starter shop wanted $40.00 per hour to diagonse & fix the problem I had in a prior post. I told them I just wanted to know what was broke the stuff insode the engine or the stuff outside and then I would fix the problem but they wanted to fix it themselves! So I decided to do alitlle testing of my own. The guage had power at both prongs but didnt show a charge but when I speeded up the motor my test hickie showed 13.5 so something was working. I replaced the guage with one from my junk box and then the tractor wouldnt start because only one post had juice. (rmember the baterry goies to the selniod first and then the the guage and then to the switch) so I put on a new guage and it started and the guage showed charge!! HAPPY DAY!!! I used a piece of wire to test the two other guages and when I shorted it out the needle jumped so donest that mean it is o.k.???? P.S. How much should I have paid to get the 16 hp Kohler motor bord out with new piston and new bearings and new carb?

HubbardRA
Amp gauges are feed through units if the gauge is broken no charge goes to the battery. I recently had a 14 Hp Kohler bored, cost was $50 and a new piston was $115. I re-assembled the engine myself. Rod H.