Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

BGB

JCS
I bought this AC 718 H tractor at auction with broken BGB and had S.L.I. rebuilt it. Then I mowed a couple of weeks and the 18 h.p. OHV Kohler died and you guys said forget it. I got a 16 h.p. Kohler rebuilt and got ti charging last night. I was driving it around since it has been down for over a year and I engauged the mower lever (no mower deck installed) and all kind of noises happened!!! It seems like when the big spring is holding the PTO in OFF position the BGB gears align o.k. But when I enguage (remove tension) from the BGB the gears are "skipping & clicking"!! The BGB was rebuilt 2 years ago but I never hardly mowed anything because the motor died. With the motor off and the tnesion released (PTO on) the sideways shaft moves back and forth about a 1/4 of inch. With the PTO off (tension on) the shaft cannot be rocked. Any ideas?

MikeES
Lets see, when you engage the cone clutch this pushes out to the left which would pull the bevel gear tighter into the drive gear (the driven is supposed to be mounted on the right. But if the driven gear is mounted on the left (I can't imagine how with no key on that side of the shaft) it could pull the driven gear away from the drive gear, only if the driven shaft has some side to side play. Is it possible to mount the driven shaft in backwards?? Looking at the diagram this might be possible. Just a guess. Good Luck! Mike S.