Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Who made this?

Jonjacobson

This picture was pirated off the web, my brother was given an identical tractor although it says "Wizard" on it. We are assuming it was sold by Western auto but know nothing about manufacturer or vintage. Any help from you knowledgable folks would be appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Springfield probably is the builder. I own a Springfield two-wheeled garden tractor with a couple of attachments. They were supposedly a well-built machine and are popular with collectors of old two-wheelers. This is the first four-wheeler I've seen, though. DaveM

Jon A Google search for springfield tractor found a hit for this "Springfield 36" that appears to match the one in your photo. copy and paste: [url]Http://Jacques_lacasse.tripod.com[/url] [url]http://jacques_lacasse.tripod.com/Springfield/Springfield.htm[/url] then scroll over to "Springfield" Hope this helps, Ben

I took a picture of a Springfield tractor like that at a Tractor show in Colorado this summer. I used to work for the Outdoor Power Equipment Division of Huffy in the early Seventies. We made some models of riding mowers for Western Auto, but I'm pretty sure we didn't make that one. Huffy acquired its mower division when it bought out the the Turfmaster Company of Richmond, IN. They closed it down in 1974.