Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Two Bottom Plow?

powermax_paul

I have a Brinly 10" sleeve hitch plow that I use behind my 9020 with a 3ph adapter to plow my corn patch. I recently purchased a second 10" plow that I want to use to double up the shares. I need to make a 3pt bracket to receive both sleeve type plows. I know I need to place the moldboards 10" apart in width. Does anyone know how far I should place the trailing moldboard behind the leading one? Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

The farther back you put it the more clearance you'll have and the less "dragging" that you'll encounter. If they are too close together weeds and, especially, corn stalks will become wedged in between the two bottoms and you will spend more time freeing them up than anything. And believe me, from my experiences with the three bottom plow that I pull behind my AC WD, they are extremely hard to free up. Give yourself plenty of room! DaveM

Be careful. Forces are not always cumulative. The powermax may seem very strong, but I have always heard that going to a 2-bottom plow greatly increases the stress on a tractor and that it is not advised on a compact. Good luck.

Ground conditions vary so greatly from one area to another, that it's hard to say if your tractor would handle it. One the land by my home, a WD-45 has a hard time with 3, 14" bottoms. Two miles to my east, it simply plays with 4, 14" bottoms. I would have to agree with Dave's suggestion of placing them as far apart as possible. The MINIMUM distance to prevent plugging, may result in too long of a "trailer". A better alternative may be to go to a farm equipment salvage yard and purchase the required parts and build a one bottom, 14", 16", or 18" plow. Actually, when you think of it in that perspective, I think an 18" plow is too much for that tractor, and you are thinking of pulling 20" of plow. Again, it all depends on ground conditions. Pat

All good points, guys. Thanks! The soil here is quite clay, so it can get hard. When plowing with a single 10" I'm running at about 1/3 throttle. The original 3pt plow was a 12" I believe. Anyway, I've got the materials left over from the backhoe project to make an adapter. I'm not going to modify the sleve mount plows. I really have nothing to lose. If it don't work, I can always go back. Thanks again for the advice. Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian

• 2 weeks later...
Paul, If your tandem rig doesn't work out I'll let you have this plow I found out on the curb for town clean-up. Shown here between the Serf and 725, you can see it's not small.....

Paul, I agree with and think you should strongly consider Pats advice. I can tell you from experience clay is tough on equipment. We had a 706 ih that even struggled with a two bottom, yet on our lower field, we could plow with our little oliver, no problems. (sandy soil). I have heard local farmers tell me they have pulled 3 bottom plows through the clay with an H or a super m or 8n's and i always tell them thier either full of bull or trying to wreck good equipment. You may have the power to use two 10inch, but personally i wouldnt do it......especially if i had one of those great machines of yours. maybe im just a nervous nell, i dont know. Doug

Paul, since you live in farm country I think you should bring your stanley home from work and go for a Sunday drive looking for 2 or 3 bttom plow. Take some measurment off it, scale down from 14 or 16 inch bottom {depending on what you find} to 10 inch bottom. The ratio your needed I believe has been found many years ago. While playing in my "south 40" over Laborday weekend plowing with 1, 10inch bottom on the 725, the ease it pulled, had me thinkin of a 2 bottom for the 4040,just because. Figured I'd have to make a 300 mile trip to Palmer area to find one to measure. good luck..MPH