Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Regent spitting gas @muffler - Please help

My Simplicity Regent 15HP Hydro with Kohler Command OHV engine wont start. When I attempt to start it, gas leaks out at the pipe that connects from the engine to the muffler (I'm not even sure if it's the muffler....it is cylinder shape and on the opposite side is the exhaust pipe). Unfortunately, I am not much of a handy man. I know I have grass and it needs to be cut but I would like to fix this problem with your help. I would deeply appreciate any advice anyone may have. Thank you.

Sounds like the float needle is leaking gas into the cylinder. Could be a bad needle and seat, or dirt in the seat. I would also check the oil for gasoline contamination. Pat

I had that happen once, it turned out to be the float.... it had become an anchor and sunk to the bottom of the float bowl.

Can someone tell me where to locate the float and how to fix it....please. I hate to be a bother but you'll need to talk to me like I'm a child because I truly have no knowledge of engines. I Should have paid attention during those 7th grade shop classes. Thank you.

That's pretty tough to do, at least for me. I'm not very good at explaining things. I would suggest that you go to your Kohler dealer and purchase a service manual for your engine. It will be money well spent, as it should guide you through most any repair on your engine. Pat

Steve If your mechanical knowledge and ability is as you say. I would say it would be much better if you took it to a shop or found a friend that has the ability and knowledge fix things. Just my opinion. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

If you have limited mechanical knowledge, the problem could be as simple as a "flooded" engine (too much raw gas that won't ignite). To correct that: 1) Place choke in off (open) position. 2) Place throttle in wide open (fast) position. 3) Crank (try to start) engine for about 10 seconds. 4) If engine tries to start, wait a few minutes and crank again for 10 seconds. 5) If engines tries to start, but won't start, replace spark plug. 6) If gas keeps coming out pipe, get a mechanic.