Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Killer_A-C

variable speed problems

UCD
What do you mean by frozen up. as in rusted? soak it with a penatrateing oil. PB blaster is a very good one. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

Mack
This is from the service manual. If pully halves stick,lubricate bushings on which pully rides lightly with a few drops of oil.Excessive lubrication will tend to collect dirt and dust and tend to hamper operation.Also lubricate all clutch and brake lever pivot points and all places where pull rods of links join levers. Good luck, Mack

thedaddycat
I replaced one of the bushings(the rear one) on my variable with a bronze bushing instead of the steel one. I used 600 Grit Clover Compound to lap it to a tight fit that would still slide freely. You could most likely just polish the old one if it is just gunked up. Be sure to check both front and rear pulley bushings. Another thing to check is that your linkages are free and not binding. You don't specify what exactly is sticking, but a complete cleaning is a good first step in determining what's going on.

BrownA
My B210 variable speed was stuck or frozen from sitting outdoors and not being used. I got the manual and took it apart. once apart I cleaned up the shafts and pivot points, put it together and made proper adjustments. It worked fine after doing this. It is not that difficult to take apart and clean. Any rust on the shafts will probably contribute to it being frozen. I also used PB Blaster as recomended by other club members for a penetrating oil and it does work well. Good luck, Al