Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RandyP

mulching mower deck

RandyP
So the leafy season is almost upon us. I'd like to know how I can make a reasonably decent mulcher out of my 42" A/C deck (912H). Can I just block off the output? Is it best with a solid block or perforated? Do I need new blades? Actually, first things first. Is this even a good/doable idea? Randy

Roy
The 42" deck on my B-1 mulches reasonably well with just the output blocked off. It is easy to make a bolt-on block-off plate/baffle.I would guess it would work better with a mulch kit. The kit dlc has for sale will fit the older bolt-together type decks. Addition: Gator blades would, no doubt help, but I do not think they are needed. JN is right. Crunching leaves makes a good dust cloud.,

Roy

JeffNemes
If the leaves are scattered around somewhat evenly it should work well but if they are bunched together it will make one big dust cloud. If you make the blockoff plate on a hinge so you could easily flip it up or down it would be more versatile. I think any perforations will soon clog up.

JohnInMI
I bought the gator blades, but then couldn't get my old blades off. I've never had them off and I didn't want to force anything too much. (I've broken way too many bolts in the past). Any suggestions on breaking the bolts away?

JeffNemes
Never had them off? I hope your's is not 20+ years old! :) Try soaking the bolts with a light oil - CRC, WD-40, Blaster, Kano, kerosene, CokaCola ect. You may need a breaker bar or you can extend a short handle ratchet with a piece of pipe - leverage is the key. 12"-20" should do it. Wedge a short 2x4 between baffle or housing to hold the blade steady. If you have to break the bolt head it may release the thread presssure and become easier to remove. You can also purchase a relatively inexpensive hand impact driver that you hit with a hammer. Be sure to use good tight fitting sockets. Sometimes metric sockets can be tapped on if the bolt head starts to get rounded. There are now also "twist" sockets that spiral down and grip onto worn/rounded bolt heads. Or the easy way - rent/buy an electric impact.