Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dcocky

GOVENER

dcocky
CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME OUT, I HAVE A 23000 BRIGGS AND YOU GO FROM IDLE TO HALF OR FULL THROTTLE, AND GOVENER TAKES OFF , U GOT TO SHUT DOWN OR MANUAL TAKE IT BACK TILL IT IDLES DOWN. THANKS DENNY

charby5
Hi Denny. it could be many things.such as wrong spring tension..exc..but saying everthing is the way it should be..governor ajustment might be the answer to your problem..static adjust is real easy to perform.can be done in 5 steps.. 1.loosen screw holding governor lever to governor crank. 2.place thottle in high speed position.(full throttle) 3.take a screw driver,turn governor crank clockwise as far as it will go. 4.tighten the screw holding the lever to governor crank. 5.before starting engine,manually move governor linkage to check for any binding. hope this helps ya ... Charby.... range apeel

powerking_one
Charby, I don't think your description is quite correct. On my 243400 Briggs (and most Briggs), full throttle is in the COUNTER-clockwise direction of the governor arm. With the engine off, move the governor arm to the full throttle position(CCW). then rotate the governor shaft to it's most counter-clockwise position as well (with clamp screw loose) then tighten. The governor is operating correctly if it is ALLWAYS applying force towards the idle positition with engine running. NO force means the internals of governor are probably "blown". Tom(PK)

dcocky
HI GUYS, CHARBY I DID THAT ,DID NOT HELP. TOM I'AM NOT SURE WHAT U ARE TELLING ME. I GOT A 23D THATS WORKS LIKE THAT, BUT THIS WORK BACKWARD FOR SOME REASON. I NOT SURE OF MODEL # BUT TYPE#IS 203015. EVEN CARB THROTTLE WORKS DIFFERENT. WHERE LINKISH HOOKS UP THROTTLE WORKS CLOCKWISE NOT COUNTER LIKE MY 23D. HOPE U UNDERSTAND WHAT I TRYING TO SAY? THANKS DENNY

HubbardRA
Charby, It sounds like the carb has been replaced and the linkage hooked up backward. If this is the case, it will open the throttle as the rpm increases. I have switched carbs and made my own linkaage several times, so I know this can be done. I am currently running the original carb from the 7.25 Hp engine that came on my Wards on a 10 Hp B/S engine that was the replacement. I adapted it and made all of the linkages. Carbs were quite different in size and mounting. Been using it this way for over 15 years. Rod H.

charby5
Hi Tom You are right ..it is counterclockwise..didnt catch it when i typed it ..sorry Denny ..and Ron has a good point if your throttle is working backwards like you describe it probibly is hooked up backwards ..has it always acted like that or did it just start acting up? Charby.. range apeel

PatRarick
If I understand everything correctly, it sounds as if someone has replaced the carb with a carb from the aluminum block engine. They are the same, except that the control arm for the throttle plate is rotated about 120 degrees from that of the cast iron engine carb. With this carb, the cast iron engine will open the throttle when it should be closing it. Pat

Al
Hi, The way they teach it at the Briggs school, Forget about clockwise or counter clockwise. [Assuming the correct carb] Just take the governor arm and move it in the direction that opens the carb wide open. Holding the arm so the carb is wide open, loosen the bolt on the arm and turn the governor shaft in the same direction the arm rotated when opening the carb. When the shaft hits the stop, tighten the bolt while the carb is wide open. Same with Kohler. Much simpler than trying to remember cw or ccw. Remember the governor weights must be held in when the carb is wide open and then they work against the spring to control the speed. Also if the engine is hunting, to determine if it is the carb or the governor, turn in the idle stop screw and hold the carb shaft against the idle stop. If the engine idles OK, then run the stop screw in more and hold it against the stop. If it runs good at mid speed with the throttle shaft fixed it is a governor problem. If the engine is erratic with the throttle shaft fixed, it is a carb problem. Personally I just hold the shaft by hand, but in school they teach using the screw for a stop. Good luck, Al Eden

dcocky
HI GUYS STILL HAVE NOT GAVE IT A TRY , MY BOY WAS IN HOSPITAL. HOPE THIS WEEKEND TO PUT OTHER CARB ON ,IT SOUND LIKE THAT WILL FIX IT, I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW IT WORKS. THANKS DENNY

dcocky
TRIED ONE LAST TIME TO GET GOV TO WORK, MUST HAVE BEEN DOING SOMETHING WRONG, LAST TIME MUST BE THE CHARM IT WORKING NOW. NEED TO GET A SPRING THAT FITS BETTER.THANK GUYS FOR YOUR HELP TRIED ALL YOUR IDEA EXCEPT BUY A NEW ENGINE. I DID HAVE TO CHANGE CARB. TOOK OFF A 23D MOTOR I HAD. SO THANKS AGAIN. THANKS DENNY